Pigeon-Talk banner

probiotics/yogurt

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  pigeonjim 
#1 ·
Question for racers. I faithfully feed and water with intention. I have healthy birds and never have disease problems that you read about(knocking on wood). Twice a month I use the cheapest plain yogurt (not because it is cheap, but because that is what I was taught) 1 teaspoon per gallon of drinking water as a probiotic. I have heard the arguments mostly from non racers of dairy being bad. I go by the rule if it aint broke don't fix it, but I am looking for proof that other products from supply houses are a better route. What do you use and why?

#5 ·
The plain yogert works, but there are other low cost supplements that work better. Go to any feed store that has supplements and take your pick of various supplements for horses or chickens, they all works. If you want the best results however look at jedds, segals, ganus just to name a few as there are many others out there as well that sell supplements especially designed for pigeons.

#7 ·
coldskin, the little jug comes with a little dipper thingy in it and I use one dip of that dipper in two gallons of water every so often. ( Its a dry powder and it last a good while) That much water fills both of my waters and the birds will go through most of that before I change it out and go back to ACV. My opinion is they need the stuff in the jug but it dosen't need to be over kill.

#11 ·
OK thanks I will see what I can find, I know its called probiotic I was curious about like a manufacturer you use or like how red cell is the "name" of a multi vitamin. I will be checking some local feed stores an also tractor supply and family farm and home. Thanks again for all the info

#14 ·
Plain greek yogurt is good. Birds do not produce lactase, which is required to digest lactose (milk sugar). For this reason dairy can give them diarrhea as it passes right through them. The probiotics in the yogurt however, should stick around. A better option would be a probiotic powder which is more concentrated. But yogurt won't hurt them.

#16 ·
I have been using probiotics all summer now and I am a believer. The birds seem to be healthier and have more energy than when I used yogurt. I noticed they seemed more hungry and use more water also. I also noticed an easier molt. Thanks for the advice all. Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.