Probiotics?

Tags
meds.
2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  spirit wings 
#1 ·
Just what is probiotics......:confused:

thanks for the responce in advance!

#2 ·
Probiotics are "cultures" that are found in yogurt and some other yogurt type foods that improve gut flora for both humans and pigeons. You can also by all natural tablets at health food stores and use them (although I don't know the dosage)...once a month I will give Petey 2 cc's of plain greek yogurt (high amount of probiotics)...just to keep things in balance in his tummy.Other members have different schedules, doses and recommendations. A lot of this is done because replicating the natural diet is hard to do in captivity.Hope that answers your question.

#3 ·
Probiotics are dietary supplements of live microorganisms thought to be healthy for the host organism.

#10 ·
not according to Foy's

Foy's Pro Bios Status: IN STOCK

This is a Probiotic. Many times stronger than Feedmate 68, you use only 1/2 to 1 tsp. per gallon of water. Repopulates the digestive track with millions of essential and natural gut bacteria, wiped out by antibiotics. These beneficial bacteria also provide an acidic environment which discourages Salmonella and E-Coli. Combined with garlic which produces additional benefits of white wattles, improves moult, purifies blood and helps expel worms. Probiotics should never be given with an antibiotic.

#11 ·
hmmm
I might have to call foys and see if that probiotic I buy from them already has garlic in it lol
The more I read it it looks like it already has garlic and I might be wrong by adding it.

#12 ·
Just called them and the one I buy from them doesnt have garlic already added.
They do sell probiotics with garlic already added.
She also said its safe to add garlic to the probiotics I buy since I buy the one that doesnt already have it added :)
You had me nervous for a second lol.

I buy the 6lb tub in the link below
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/catalog/670-678.html

#14 ·
Friendly Bacteria

Hi RACKERMAN, Probiotic are friendly bacteria that are mormally found in the intestines of all warm blooded animals. They are part of the immune system.The relationship between the host animal and these bacteria is of extreme importance to both. Changes in the relationship of one to the other can lead to sickness.What are some of the changes; Bacterial changes may occur as a result of stress,diet changes,antibiotic therapy,and other factors. Where animals are not stressed, are not given drugs, are not crowded,have an appropriate diet and do not contact infection,and live in a clean loft ,ideal levels of these friendly bacteria may be maintained. ......Use of probiotics; After any race ,in the stock loft,in the race loft,postrace, during weaning of young birds,moulting,in the show loft for those that show birds. I would say that probiotics should be given at least once a week,and after any antibiotic treatment and in that case for 2 or 3 days. One other inportant thing to remember when using probiotic is use only distilled water as tap water has chlorine and other chemicals add to kill bacteria.;) GEORGE;)

#15 ·
"This probiotic contains several strains of beneficial bowel bacteria: Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. casei, L. lactis, L. bifidus and Enterococcus faecium. I think that, of these, one or two strains are resistant to alkaloids of garlic. The garlic cannot destroy them, so they are able to survive and even multiply."

"- if we use a probiotic that contains several different strains of bowel bacteria, the odds are that some strains among them are resistant to garlic, so they survive the alkaloids of the garlic and are able to multiply in the bowel."

"- if the bacteria of our probiotic are resistant to garlic, we can use them together"

I would think the one foys sells must be resistant to garlic.

#17 ·
quote from article; "- if alkaloids of garlic kill some strains of bacteria but other strains survive (as in our case), we can use them together, but afterwards we should give extra probiotic"

I just don't see the point, if I do not know which ones they kill, it is much easier to just give the probios after the garlic....just seems like common sense to me, rather than hope the one or maybe two probios resistant may make it to the gut. IMO I think foys
made that product for user convenience and know they sell many of them.

it says at the end of the discription "Probiotics should never be given with an antibiotic."

quote from Dr Zsolt question: Can garlic and probiotics be used together? I thought garlic was a natural antibiotic and would kill the probiotic bacteria.
*answer:
You are right; the alkaloids of garlic affect bacteria directly, just as antibiotics do, killing them or preventing their proliferation.

I do not use garlic, if I raced I may as they are basketed alot, Im sure their are more good things about garlic...just would give it alone which is not that hard to do. JMO:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.