Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my pigeons layed an egg last night and now she is using her wings to walk and looks like she can't stretch her legs out, but she can move around and fly. is it possible that she is having problems laying the second egg?:confused:

·
Registered
426 Posts
sounds possible, remove her from loft and place her on a towel with a heating pad beneath it...do a search for egg bound...could be a serious issue for you, I'm sure a more informative member will add more

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
It could be egg binding, or it could be post egg-laying paralysis. Egg binding is much more serious.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
She needs calcium. Buy some oyster shell tabs. Any wal mart has it 500 mg Give her 2 tabs break in half in need be. Force it down the throat pushing it to the back of the throat. Then give her 1 tab a day for 5 days SHE will recover. This happens every so often. Giving all the hens a calcium boost befor breeding helps to prevent it. Some hens will die . After recovery. make sure you have grit so the birds can keep up there calcium. Also egg binding you give the same And Cod liver oil. She will lay that next egg tomorrow So you need to get her started and watch her. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem laying egg

Sorry so late and Thanks for the replies. She layed the second egg and remained unable to walk for a day. She is now on her feet and seems to have good control of them, it seem to be a gradual procces. When I removed her from the loft,she became very stressed. I returned her to the loft where she is focused on her eggs and she has been on the oyster shells for 3 days.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This happened to one of my hens one year even though they had oyster shell in front of them. From now on, I dont take any chances. I add chicken layer pellets to the feed and once a wk I give them a calcium syrup mixed into the feed. I have not had a problem since!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts