Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that I have two wild pigeons, Peter and Peggy, living in my eavestrough. They've been there for 7 years, same couple. A few days ago, another pair of pigeons tried to steal the nest. Peter took a beating but eventually the pair disappeared. Life seemed back to normal, except that Peggy decided Peter wasn't going anywhere and he was relegated to the back of the nest while she stood guard. That was two days ago. Yesterday I came home and Peter was gone. He did not return home last night, nor this morning. Peggy is busy tending to her two babies, without Peter. I know he has had the odd occassion when he didn't return home for a night, but this seems odd. Of course I am worried sick. In the event that something has happened to Peter (God forbid) will Peggy find another mate eventually?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question.... if Peter was injured badly during the fight with the other pigeon, and succumbed to his wounds, would he stay in the nest and die, or would he go somewhere else to die? I'm tortured about this whole scenario. I wish I could open the door and see his happy roly-poly little body on the porch, chattering away as usual. I sure miss him.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
The only thing you can do is keep your eye on the squabs, if peg is not able to feed them enough they may need your help, all you can do is wait to see if peter shows up, if he did die from a wound or something he would most likey of stayed around his digs. when pigeons fight rarely do they injure to kill, so I think there is a good chance he will be back....unless he found the other pigeon's mate attractive....:eek: if peg is used to seeing you perhaps you can have a peek for a few days at the squabs and see if their crops are full.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Spirit Wings. I will of course keep my eye on the babies. I am feeding Peggy so she is well taken care of. It seems so odd that all of a sudden, both the other pair (who tried to steal the nest) and Peter have disappeared in the past few days. I sure hope none of my neighbours have done anything dastardly. I'm hoping the other pair found a new flock and went their separate way. And praying that Peter comes home soon, or I'll go out of my mind with worry.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thank you Spirit Wings. I will of course keep my eye on the babies. I am feeding Peggy so she is well taken care of. It seems so odd that all of a sudden, both the other pair (who tried to steal the nest) and Peter have disappeared in the past few days. I sure hope none of my neighbours have done anything dastardly. I'm hoping the other pair found a new flock and went their separate way. And praying that Peter comes home soon, or I'll go out of my mind with worry.
well you never know, that pair might have been their offspring trying to return to a familiar spot and he (peter) was'nt having any of it, so when they left maybe he is hangin out with them for a bit....who knows....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm quite certain that they were offspring of Peter and Peg's as there aren't very many pigeons in the neighbourhood. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that he's okay and will return soon. Thank you for the support :)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm so sorry. I hope he comes back. There is no question in my mind that you love those two Pigeons very much.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm really sorry. I can imagine how you feel. I hope he is back soon. It is odd though, that he would disappear when there are babies in the nest.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Charis and Jay3......

Unfortunately, the plot thickens, and not for the better. Peggy was here this mornng. She came down from the nest when I called her. She ate her breakfast. She hung around for a few hours, then she disappeared. I got a chair and looked into the nest. There are two babies in there and an egg! But no Peggy. She's been gone for a few hours now. What would make two happy birds, with a great home and regular feed, leave their home and babies? I asked the neighbour if he's seen anything suspicious (i.e., exterminators) and he says he has not. He also noticed that the birds had gone. He was sad about it, seemingly. I can't believe this is happening.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just called the wildlife rehab society. I explained the situation and she said they were likely killed. She also said 7 years is very old for a pigeon. I started sobbing on the phone and she didn't know what to do with me. My heart is just breaking.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm soooo sorry for you. I really am. I can feel your pain. Sadly, if he was injured badly enough, then a hawk could more easily have gotten him. I hate to tell you that. But it is a possibility. I see no other reason, that he would have left and not returned, other than that he couldn't return for whatever reason. Hard to believe that a fight with another pigeon injured him that badly that he would have died. It is possible, just not usually what happens. As far as Peg leaving the babies. That isn't good, but often, if one parent leaves for whatever reason, the other parent will not care for the young until they are ready to fledge. It is a lot for one bird. It could have been too much for her alone, without a mate. Maybe she went looking for him. She might come back. How old are the little ones? If need be, they could be hand raised by you. Have you considered doing this? Again, I just can not express how very sorry I am over this whole thing. I can remember when you first came in and posted about them. I remember because I really enjoyed your post, and hearing all about them. Please keep us updated. And please consider hand feeding them if she doesn't come back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, another dilemma. Peggy just showed up. She sat on the edge of the nest for a few minutes. I put food down for her, which she ignored, so I'm assuming she's not hungry. When I checked again a few minutes later, she was gone. I don't know if she's caring for the babies or not. I am leaving for a folk festival in Seattle tomorrow afternoon (flying out) and I have limited time to make a decision about the babies. If I pull them out of the nest and take them to the rehab centre, will Peggy go off the deep end, having just been left by Peter and then her babies taken away? Or do I risk leaving the babies with her and hope that she'll take care of them? I will return on Sunday afternoon/evening. Would they be okay til then? I don't know how old they are but could probably get a picture up in the next few minutes.

Jay3, thank you so much for the support and empathy. I really don't want to believe that my beloved Peter could be gone forever, but this is just weird. Just three days ago I watched the two of them waddle across the street together, like they owned the neighbourhood, so happy together. They brought so much joy to my life. I have a friend coming in from out of town who's going to the festival with me. She's going to be here anytime, but she'll find me with big red puffy eyes and tears streaming down my cheeks because I just can't stop crying.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More news. She just flew in and appears to be sitting on/near the babies. She had another young male following her, and he appears to be the one who fought with Peter. He wouldn't come near me and flew off like a flash. No sign of Peter tho'. Would she just replace him so quickly? Now I'm wondering if it's even her in there? Would another female bird tend to the nest and babies? I'm pretty sure it's her but I knew Peter better than I knew Peg. Peter was practically a tame bird, standing on my arm, sitting on the porch with the cats, listening to me play guitar, etc. He was my baby. Oh, how I wish he'd come home :-(

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
No. If she on the babies, I'd say it's Peg. I've had pigeons replace mates quickly. But then they were younger, then others take forever to settle with another mate. If she's still caring for them, then they might be okay til Sunday. Make sure you leave plenty of water and food with her. Then too, the two others might steal the food. That may have been what they were after the first time. Are there many pigeons around that area? Do you know if anyone feeds them? I'd be sure and check on them as soon as I got home. Do you have a friend that could do that for you, or at least make sure that they had food and water while you're gone?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's her alright. She just came down from the nest and ate out of my hand. It's definitely her. I don't know if the other bird was with her or chasing her? He was definitely the 'bad' bird that attacked Peter in the first place. We have hardly any pigeons in our neighbourhood. As far as I know the only ones I see are mine and the two offspring (Peg and Peter and Percy, etc). Lots of magpies, robins, seagulls, chickadees, etc, but very very few pigeons. Anyway, she is definitely taking care of the babies. I do have a neighbour coming over to feed the cats and she will watch the pigeons for me I'm sure. I even wrote it on my note to her! I'm praying I come home on Sunday to a fat happy Peter and Peg. It'll be on my mind all weekend, I just know it.

Thank you again Jay. Your posts have really helped me. It makes such a difference when someone understands. (still crying)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'll be praying for a good outcome. You never know, maybe he is off somewhere and will possibly return. Wouldn't that be something! You go and try to have a good time, although I know that you will be worrying about your birds. And stop crying. Pray for it to turn out well. You'd better let us know when you get home how things are there.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How are things going? Were they still there when you returned home today?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Jay, sorry for the delay in responding. My out of town company just left. Peter has not returned and everyone is suggesting to me that he is probably dead as a 7 year old bird in the wild is an old bird. I can't believe how much I am grieving over this. He was my little buddy. At the concert we went to in Redmond, Gillian Welch played. My favourite singer and musician, her last song of the night was "I'll Fly Away", which set me off in tears.

The better news is that Peggy is still here, by herself, caring for the babies. She is really keeping to herself. She always was a bit standoffish, Peter was the friendly one. But at least Peg and the babies are okay. I wonder if Peggy knows what happened to Peter? They were INSEPARABLE for 7 years. It's hard to see her alone. Did she witness him get hit by a car? Did she witness him get caught by a hawk? I don't know. Maybe she even chased him away herself because he couldn't defend the nest anymore. But that doesn't make sense because now she's really alone. Anyway, I'm trying to keep a stiff upper lip, and looking forward to watching the babies learn to fly. I don't know what Peggy will do when they fly the coop. She'll be all alone. If she leaves too I'll be devastated all over again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts