Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Problem 1) the problem is that my pigeons don't fly from my terrace and come back.They only fly when they are taken to an another terrace and reach home.What can I do so that they start flying from my terrace and come back?

Problem 2)One of my last set's baby pigeon is now 1 month 11 days old and the other is 1 month 9 days old (they are siblings).The problem is that the second one (younger one) looks too weak and looks 13-15 days old.He does all the things which his sibling can do but only he looks weak and small.(EXCEPT)His sibling can fly a little but he cannot fly.Has anyone of you faced that?and know what happened to him?and what can I do for him?

THANKS-RUBEENA

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I can't give you advice on the first question, I don't fly my birds.

As for the smaller baby, I would suggest, if you cannot take him to a vet to run some tests to see what is wrong with him, bring him inside, isolate him from the others, make sure he eats and drinks and give vitamins and calcium as instructed by the manifacturer. An antibiotic might be in order, but hard to say if we don't know what exactly is worng with the baby. It could be a chronic infection, could be congenital or genetic. That is why I would take him to vet.

Reti

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
You may have a baby that is suffering from paratyphoid/salmonellosis or E coli or other. That is a classic syptom when one baby is not thriving.

Parents can be carriers and act normal but infect their young. I agree, they need to be examined and treated with the appropriate antibiotic.

Perhaps your other birds should be examined also, maybe they are not feeling well, and if they are allowed to fly free and are in contact with other birds they are susceptible to disease?

Have your birds been innocluated for salmonella?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Or it could be some thing simple being born 2 days later and got less food all it's life. If it happens again take the bigger bird out at feeding time and let the little bird eat first.
Dave

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My ILL bird ! Please HELP !! :'(

These are a few pictures of the bird who is 1 month and 6 days old today, and as you can see it's size is quite smaller than it's mate. It also doesn't have any good growth of feathers plus it has these boils coming up in many areas. PLEASE HELP ! Is it Paratyphoid or Salmonella or what ? There is no vet in my area, how do i cure this problem!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
What a precious baby.
It looks like the baby has canker around the vent. I would treat both babies with metronidazole and enrofloxin. Can you get them there? If so, the dose should be appropriate to he weight and so you will need to weigh them. After you have a weight, we can help you with a dose for each medicine.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
It also looks like a boil is forming on the wing joint which is consistent with salmonella isn't it? I cannot quite in the pics but looks like boils to me

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
You hadn't mentioned the boils in your first post.
As Charis mentioned you need those two antibiotics asap. You can order them from Foy's or any other pet supply company. Give them a call they can advice you on the dose and they also can deliver them next day.

Reti

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Reti...he's in India. It could take a couple of weeks to receive meds from the states.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a precious baby.
It looks like the baby has canker around the vent. I would treat both babies with metronidazole and enrofloxin. Can you get them there? If so, the dose should be appropriate to he weight and so you will need to weigh them. After you have a weight, we can help you with a dose for each medicine.

I can get metronidazole and enrofloxin medicines, but as I've told u earlier there are hardly any vets in here. So if you could tell me the right procedure to cure my bird with metronidazole and enrofloxin along with their appropriate specs( mg's), it would be great help.
Thanks!
Rubeena!

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Buy the medicine and then weigh both babies and we can recommend a dose for each medication. A kitchen scale, that measure in grams, works well.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thanks Charis, I missed that.

Reti

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank You everyone because of you guys i got to know that he was suffering from paratyphoid.We have shown him to a vet and will be starting the medicines from tomorrow morning.I have read that because of one bird it can spread to the entire flock , I wanted to know what can I do to prevent it.I have also heard that young birds should be given some injections to prevent diseases.I would appreciate if anyone could give me the list of the injections and also tell me at what age should they be given.
THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!
Rubeena :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am still waiting for someone to give me a solution for my 1st problem :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wan't my pigeons to fly around a little and come back home but they don't do it themselves.They only fly when I take them to someone else's terrace , they fly like a flock take some rounds in the air and come back.But I want them to fly from my terrace and come back!
Rubeena!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts