Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m embarrassed to ask, but I must anyway, my second-generation wild pigeon, Baby Mama, that I’ve raised on my 9th floor balcony is nesting in a dirt planter, exposed to predators (we have hawks in the area). My first question is, can I put up a blind that will protect her from view without freaking her out when the area AROUND the nest changes? And two, I have nest material that I was going to make a cozy little area for my two wild females but didn’t expect Baby Mama to nest so early and in a planter of dirt open to the world!? Can I put the nesting material in the planter around the eggs when she gets off to eat? If not, when they hatch, can I put the babies in the nesting material? OR, will she abandon the nest in both cases? (FYI, I picked both her and her brother up when they were first born to put a towel under them for comfort because of their mother’s poor nest building and the mom, Curlie, didn’t seem to mind). P.S. As long as I’m asking questions, here’s another. BM layed earlier eggs in the winter which disappeared, and I think were not fertilized (?) because I never saw a male sharing responsibility, only her mother. The same goes with this nest. She’s all by her lonesome, AGAIN, so far. NO male sharing sitting duty!?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
If she is tame, then I guess she won't mind having you making changes around the nest. If there's no male around, then the eggs are probably not fertilized and won't hatch.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My husband is having trouble getting the needles for the nest. I'm wondering if I could cut up some skewers in 6 to 8-inch pieces and put in a light layer of moss on the dirt

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Small twigs will be fine. You can search under trees in your area, that's what pigeons use in nature. Don't use skewers. The moss will probably be ok.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Thank you for that. In the meantime, I ordered actual pigeon bedding material to be here Monday. I am panicked tho and I probably shouldn't be but the temperature will be 0 C/32 F (live in Canada) tonight. Big Daddy flew the coop when the construction noise got REALLY loud out in front of my building about 1 1/2 hours ago. It's quiet out now but Baby Mama is also nowhere to be seen. She is always here by now, 5:20 pm MT. They have NEVER left the nest alone and their only five-day-old babes. What shall I do if the parents don't come back by the time the temp starts falling at dusk? (I am following the posts of a family who is raising two squabs with no parents who put them in cotton socks to keep them warm!?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
You can bring them inside and keep them warm on a hotwaterbottle covered with a soft fleezy blanket and put them on top. Return them to the nest in the morning, the parents will probably return.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your quick response! Mama came back around 8:00 so all was well. She seemed to like the moss. She was very curious about it at first and I thought she was going to kick it to the side but then after rearranging Holy and Moly, she settled in for the night. I'm curious how you know so much about pigeons if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've learned on this site. The Palomacy Facebook page is also very informative. And I don't consider myself an expert on pigeons, still learning a lot every day.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've learned on this site. The Palomacy Facebook page is also very informative. And I don't consider myself an expert on pigeons, still learning a lot every day.
Do you own or race pigeons? Or just have a general interest? Well, you are a life savior for me and I'll go look at Palomacy! Speaking of your knowledge and saving lives, I can't pass up a chance to ask a question! Since yesterday and all the construction noise, every time I open my balcony door, he jets. I have to go out there many times a day. I have four pairs of sparrows I've been feeding for the last five years at the other end of the balcony. We BBQ several nights a week, including tonight and I have a large container garden I tend to and, etc. None of this bothered Big Daddy until now. He's been gone for a couple of hours now! I go to the nest every hour to make sure they are warm. Today is moderately warm (15C/60F) but there is a strong breeze that is bringing the temperature down. At what point do I stuff them in my socks or put the heating pad in the nest? I'm pretty sure Mama will be here in seven to ten hours, but in the meantime.....

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I would suggest keeping your distance for now until the babies are about 10 days to 14 days old. Then they won't need additional heat from the parents during daytime. If the babies become unresponsive and feel cold when you touch them, then you will need to keep them warm.

I have a few rescue pigeons, doves, starlings and finches that are unreleasable. Then in a seperate aviary, I also have feral pigeons and ex-racers that arrived here starving. I let them free fly during the day (their choice) and they get locked up at night again. My interest started with that first baby I raised long time ago. Since then, there were many more.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your advice! I had already decided to only look in on them first thing in the morning and right before dusk when it's the coldest and STOP trying to micromanage their little lives! WOW! Sounds like you really have a busy birdlife!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts