Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the metronidazole treatment needs probiotics for gut repairs but I am not sure if at the same time period with metronidazole but at different times of the day or only after metronidazole treatment ended. I want to treat preventatively the 2 dozen pigeons that I have in my attic. Please tell me when to start the probiotics and for how long and if at the same with either/both metronidazole or probiotics I should also give them ACV. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
I always start with the probiotics and ACV in the drinking water from day 1 when treating with metronidazole. And when finished with the treatment, continue with the probiotics and ACV for like 5 days afterwards and thereafter twice a week in the drinking water. Antibiotics destroy all the good gut bacteria, and some people think it's a waste to start with the probiotics and ACV from day 1 and that one should wait till finished with the antibiotics. I think the bird will only benefit when starting from day 1 and it costs so little anyway.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Marina. Before coming to the US I used to do the same with myself in case of antibiotics use (eat a teaspoon of yogurt once a day) but here I was told that this weakens the strength of the antibiotics as they defocus from the bad bacteria going partly to the good bacteria from probiotics. But I think that especially when I have no known case of an infection in the treated pigeons but just preventative, the risk of gut good bacteria destruction is more important. I am happy that you have the same opinion. Thank you so much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts