Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pigeon, Prue, vomited water today. She lives with one other female pigeon. Yesterday I built a makeshift aviary and put them in it. I also put in a few plant pots and my pigeons were foraging for grit in them. But, I think Prue ate some styrofoam balls that come with the potting mix. I put them back in their coop around sunset and they were fine. Mikey hardly foraged around and she is fine. Prue was very fluffed up this morning and kept closing her eyes. I then saw her try to vomit, she made her throat big and shook. About an hour later she vomited the water. She only ate a couple seeds this morning and drank a small amount of water. Mikey is curious today, walking, foraging and doing exercises and stretches. Prue looks exhausted. PLEASE HELP! :( :(

Right now Prue is looking only slightly better, sitting down on a perch in the aviary. My dad is very reluctant to go to the vet, so anything I can do for her myself would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
278 Posts
If she DID eat the styrofoam and it is making her sick I think there is very little that you can do on your own.

Dunno, never dealt with it myself but blockages are usually vet areas

Another possibility is poisoning. What plants did you put? Some plants are poisonous to birds.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Pigeonpuff, hows Prue doing now?
What are her droppings like? Wet, green, what colour and shape?
Is she still fluffed up?
Whats her posture like? Is her tail down and is her body hunched up as if she might have a sore stomach?

Is her crop empty or full???? You need to see if she has passed the stuff she ate out of her.
If she hasnt eaten anything for a while, her crop should be empty

For poisonings, my holistic vet said black tea and green tea is good. We did a black, green and nettle tea mix when our birds got sick once. Our vet said you can add a little honey too, but we didnt. We had the tea just slightly 'dark'...lightly coloured so not to overwhelm the birds.
Black tea helps circulation. Green antioxides. Nettle is a good diuretic to flush toxins out.
If Prue isnt passing the stuff she ate, i would be inclined to try a little olive oil. Olive oil cleanses the plumbing so to speak...a small drop or two.
But start with the tea first to pick her up. Check her out, droppings and crop etc...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

We took Prue to the vet after discovering blood and undigested seeds in some vomit. Prue has to take medication for a few days, but she'll be ok!!!:D
She got very angry, though, when she went back into the coop because she sat on the nest and cooed and cooed while tapping her wings. She pecked the sticks in and around the nest, as if to say "You've ruined it!" I did take out their bedding but I replaced all of the loft features exactly how they had been and I did not touch anything in the nest... any idea why she was acting so strangely?
Mikey, who is kind of her mate, came over to Prue once and Prue put her beak in Mikey's. Was she asking for food? I just fed them but all Prue did was look for grit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thank you to everyone for your advice!! Prue's crop was empty, so I hope she will eat soon...
I will watch her closely and try the tea. I don't think she ate any plants, but I will definately watch out for the future.

Thanks again!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
all Prue did was look for grit.
That might be a very bad sign and you have to remove the grit immedieately.

When there is a blockage of gissard, the birds try to eat minerals, hoping that those small solid objects (grit, gravel and so on) will "flush away" the blockage, but it makes it worst by becoming fixated too (the grit) in the gissard.

Read this:

Once a small amount of sand, grit or soil has been ingested, the bird is likely to develop a stomach ache and will scavenge for further minerals. The build up of these materials cause a blockage in the gizzard.
http://beautyofbirds.com/blockedgizzard.html

·
Registered
278 Posts
What meds did the vet give you?

Did he actually tell you what was wrong - and very imp was he a bird vet or just a regular vet?

Nothing wrong with regular vets but there are some bits of knowledge that are very imp and that they just don't know about

Like for certain meds to be effective you need to remove grit and sources of calcium.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Yes. What did the vet say was wrong? If you are giving meds, then you should know what they are and why. What did the vet think was wrong?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts