Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first of two eggs hatched. Should I remove the other one, or leave it be for a while?

Backstory: I bought a few pairs of these birds, but one hen came down with some sort of encephalitis days after I got them, probably from a mosquito. She eventually recovered, but is disabled on one side; blind in that eye, stump foot from circulatory loss etc. So she is not going to live as long (probably) as my others. She had very nice conformation prior to getting sick.

This is the first chance to have her bred. Her mate is not (at least has not been) good at sharing duties, and spend most of the time trying to nest with other hens. He currently claims and defends two other nests in addition to this hen's nest, and is far more 'aggressive' than any of my other cocks. So he may not be much help raising the squeakers. [He may come around now that one hatched, but I am skeptical]

So . . . should I leave the second egg? How long? Can a partially disabled and dysfunctional pair raise two chicks?

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is no telling what the parents can do until they show you.
I have had 1st time parents be great at rearing then I've had birds that laid eggs with no problems in the past and then for some reason vacate the nest box.If possible you could foster them under another pair.
His aggression may subside when his parental duties kick in
Hoped I helped somewhat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, taking the general consensus here, I have left the egg in and now there are two tiny squeakers! And do they ever squeak! :eek:

Her mate did not show any interest in 'parental duties' when she left the nest to grab some food today. Nor was he bothered when another bird went into the box (several times) leaving the hen to chase the intruder out. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts