Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok sooooo i got 3 more mookees they have been vax'd last year (will be this year) i just got them they are seprate from my loft right now and will be given a dose of tetracicline in the morning for the right amount of time...

my question is how long should they be kept away from my flock and what are some sign's i am looking for

thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I myself keep any new pigeons in quarentine for at least 30 days.

Even though the have been vaccinated the stress of traveling & new surroundings could start a low lying problem.

This is also a great way to get to know your new birds.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I'd suggest just allowing them to settle in of their own accord and in their own time. Also, I'd suggest you don't medicate them unless you have reason to think they are sick. Observe their food and water intake if you can, check their poops - they may be a bit 'off' with a change of surroundings but should soon show normal in healthy birds. See if they are active and bright-looking, have a good posture, etc.

John

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I have Mookee"s too and I would just let them settle a bit and watch them pretty good to make sure they are going in the right direction--eating and drinking and normal behavior and if everthing okay just add them to your flock. When birds are moved some times they normally put out more e-coli in their system and their droppings might be off some but it settles in time. I would get them off the antibiotic and get a good probiotic for them and this helps with their droppings. Don"t know where you are but there is Jedds in California and Foys on the east coast and Siegals pigeon supply in Louisana.
I do like "Pigeon Probiotics" for it has other things too and will get their systems filled with some good bacteria after you get them off of the antibiotic----Why are they on the anitibiotic--was it vet proscribed or what????? c.hert

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is Mookee mans girlfriend actually so was the other post asking about stress aid. I dont think they need to be on tetracycline it was Mookee mans dad that suggested it. As of now they are not showing any signs of illness. They are actually amazingly clean bright healthy looking birds. Mookees of good health will often shake their heads and necks and these birds shake alot. The only thing about them that looks off at all is their ceres around their eye is just a tad red due to sun. The guy we got them off of has a large flight pen and We've had alot of sun the past few days.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I think your Mookee's are going to be fine--just be observant--Mookees are one of my favorite birds....c.hert

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They don't need to be medicated unless they show signs of sickness. Birds shouldn't be medicated for nothing. And one month is a good time to keep them separate. Gives you time to make sure they're okay.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Serve clean water, once or twice daily, just regular tap water.
I think that the clorine, and flourides, and whatever else is in it kills most bugs.
Dirty water increases problems.
Did you find out what kind of food, the previous owner was feeding?
That in itself sure helps settle them.
Make sure that they have there own space, where they won't be getting picked on by others. Non Stress is the key.

400 is a good number too!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Thats neat but only you would know unless someone like me would ask--I had a chevy pick up truck 1962 green color step side for years and it had a dump truck transmission with a granny gear--finally gave it to a collector for his Dad to drive---because I could not afford to fix it up and the collector did---beautiful truck now still running....I apologize Mookeeman for highjacking your thread for this moment of time but I thought I would share with ND Cooper and I was curious about #400 and maybe I will play it somewhere as a lucky number...Thanks for the answer...c.hert

·
Registered
795 Posts
I used to live in Colorado, Denver.
I made a lot of money as a mechanic there.
Now I'm a semi retired Auto Tech!
Oh, for the good old days! :)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Thanks for the information and they were good old days that will never return and now it is time to adjust to these good new days...Thanks...c.hert

1 - 15 of 15 Posts