Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering what are the breed or kinds of pigeons that can loft fly?(can old german owl loft fly? or german beauties or oriental frills?) aside from racing pigeons? predators are not a problem here in the philippines

·
Registered
133 Posts
What do you mean by "loft fly"? Just let them out to fly around a little?
I've never heard of a place with no hawks flying around, but if that is the case, sure. You have to make sure they are oriented to your loft and view that as their home, do not stray far from it. The extremely oriental varieties, like Jacobins, or ones that have a hard time seeing or their feathers getting in the way, I would not, though. They could accidentally get lost.
I have fantails, owls, runts, and other breeds that I let out to fly, but since here in Missouri we do have predator problems I do watch them when they're out.

It all depends on the birds, though. The breeds you mentioned I don't think you have any trouble if you let them out for a little while. They will not be up flying around like racing homers but they do enjoy to hop around a little, forage.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Any pigeon can be let out and will return home, however only a small number of domesticated pigeons are bred to fly.
Most breeds are show breeds( some of which can hardly flap themselves onto a perch), including the ones you listed. Yeah sure the OGO's may get up and do a couple laps but I wouldn't expect them to fly for more than 5 minutes.

Take a look in the Performance breeds section to find some breeds meant to fly. Tipplers (what we fly) IMO are the best at loft flying. They were bred for this more or less and can fly into the teens of hours (pending climate). You also have rollers, doneks, many tumblers, dewlaps and the list goes on.

What all are you looking for in a bird so we can better help narrow the list down for you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.