Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Pidgy is starting to have some strange behavior. She’s close to 2 months old, she still peeps but has started making a light honking noise when she’s upset (time to go back in her kennel). I called her “he” from the beginning but the past few weeks, I started calling her a she because she is very small (about the size of a large dove, 239g about 2wks ago) and very delicate. This past week she’s been SUPER moody, not wanting to be touched, not landing on me like she normally does (if I’m doing stuff with the planter or taking a shower, or whatever she’s always on my shoulder, she would even doze off on my leg when I’m sitting & reading - (I hang out with them for at least 1/2 an hour each time I feed the babies), it’s a long process getting her back into her kennel, and any time hubs puts his arm out for her to climb on she pecks & bites at him. But tonight she puffed up her neck & made louder, closer to a pigeon noise & pecked angrily at him. And then strutted around like a male whose territory is being invaded. Is this normal behavior for an adolescent female pigeon? She is also acting very deferential to Bruce who’s about 2 wks younger but much bigger than her (250g on the same day I weighed Pidg), she was feeding him 2 weeks ago & now, she avoids him for the most part, but when they’re eating seeds in the same space, she quickly grabs seeds & scoots away, & he follows her around wiggling his wings & biting at her tail feathers. We’ve set up 2 different places for seeds so she can eat alone & of course they both have seeds in their own kennels. I’m hoping this is just normal teen angst…I’m hoping she doesn’t hate me 🥺 someone please let me know if this is normal or if maybe she is actually a he, or maybe she’s just done with captivity & I should settle her in her outdoor enclosure & not try to handle her until fall when (if) I release her.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Is the temperature in their space different? Are their droppings looking normal: not too wet, not off-color?

At two to three months they become more independent from parents and siblings. Less cuddling and more exploring. Also more likely to annoy the crap out of other adult pigeons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Temperature is the same as it always has been, they’re still in my bathroom, in separate steel dog kennels. I have smaller boxes in there for them to hide and sleep in. They get free time for 1/2hr to an hour 4 times a day. She hates being in her kennel, which I get, but if I leave her out of her kennel, she just sits by the door driving the cats crazy. Her poop is normal, she’s drinking & eating normal, she’s not aggressive to me like she is to hubs, just doesn’t want to be touched. As I’m writing this, I am sitting on the bathroom floor having just fed the babies, everyone is in the shower eating seeds together & Pidg joined the group, Bruce approached her & she did the same thing she did to hubs last night & he left her alone. She also did a gentler version to get one of the babies away from her. Now all 4 are eating nicely. I guess she just doesn’t want to be bothered by anyone 🤷‍♀️
Flowerpot Wood Textile Rectangle Flooring

·
Registered
886 Posts
What a gorgeous flock! At this age, the parents would already have shown her where to find food and water nearby. They would have led her to places where their flock congregates, and she would be learning how to interact with the flock as an individual, and also as a member of the group. The flock depends on its members to locate food, to watch for threats, and to fly together for protection. You could play some videos for her, of adults courting, mating, and of flocks foraging and flying. The pigeons that I bring home for recuperation do watch videos. :)

Pigeon flock foraging in grass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts