Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dove laid an egg on the 28th. a second one still has yet to appear. is it possible there is only one?? or should i be worried about an egg being stuck. how can i tell??

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hmmm....

OK, If it made somewhat of a nest, and the birds are siting on it, then it should hatch.
Usually, pigeons lay more than just one, but you never know! It should lay more within the next few days if the eggs are fertile. since it's been a while I dont think it will lay more anyway. if the birds are sitting on the first egg and they do have a nest then they either are just going to have one, or something's wrong.
I dont know how to (or even if you can) tell if an egg is stuck. I figure if she laied one already, she should be able to pass another. ( I AM NOT A VET. sorry ).

( you do have a male and a female.......... right?:p)

-Columba livia!:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shemale!!

to be completely honest i stil am not sure of the sexes. i thought they were both boys because they would both coo some times. the one does A LOT more though. i didnt even know the other one did until i put up a nest. yes they do have one. its a basket and i put stick and grass in the cage so they could make it how they liked it. i figured it would just be used for sleeping anyway. i was shocked when they egg came. and happy. so i know that atleast one has to be a girl. based on what ive learned through research about the sit timing between male and female i think i know which one is definitly the girl. UNLESS they are pulling a huge trick on me and are both girls and the other one laid it but is taking the role of the male. i really dont know. i thought if they were both girls then there would have been more eggs. but theres still only the one.:(

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
my dove laid an egg on the 28th. a second one still has yet to appear. is it possible there is only one?? or should i be worried about an egg being stuck. how can i tell??
I don't have doves, but I'm going to assume that they do things pretty much like pigeons............sometimes they do just lay one egg. Is this a young pair? That could account for the one egg this time. If the hen was egg bound, you would know it. They are obviously in distress when this happens, so if they are acting normal, there's probably nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this a young pair? That could account for the one egg this time.
im not sure of their ages. i didnt get them as babies and the associates at the pet store really had no clue about them. which is why i really know nothing.:(

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Well, either way, doesn't matter. If she laid one, then that's all she's going to lay. Could be because she's young OR old OR just being in a new place. Are you going to let it hatch?
Where do you keep these birds anyway? Got any pictures?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i am going to let it hatch. i want to have one baby but then i probably will start replacing with the dummies because i dont have any room for more. i keep them inside in a cage. i dont have the lofts like everyone on here seems to have:eek: i have a couple pictures but im still figuring out this site so i dont really know how to get them up yet. ill try today.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes i am going to let it hatch. i want to have one baby but then i probably will start replacing with the dummies because i dont have any room for more. i keep them inside in a cage. i dont have the lofts like everyone on here seems to have:eek: i have a couple pictures but im still figuring out this site so i dont really know how to get them up yet. ill try today.
If these are doves, the new baby when it is weaned can not stay in the cage with the parent birds, they will see it as an intruder then and it could get injured, the cock bird esp. will fight with the young one. so your going to need to get another cage any way. that is if it is fertile and hatches.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bye bye baby

i wasnt goin to keep it for long. jus until it can be on its own then i was going to try and find a home for it. why would they think of it as an intruder? if every bird thought of another as an intruder then wouldnt nobody be able to keep as many as they do?:(

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
i wasnt goin to keep it for long. jus until it can be on its own then i was going to try and find a home for it. why would they think of it as an intruder? if every bird thought of another as an intruder then wouldnt nobody be able to keep as many as they do?:(
It's because of them being in a cage. It's such a confined space the your two doves consider it THEIR space..........just like in a loft........a pair of birds may have a nest box.......the whole loft belongs to all the birds, but the nest boxes belong to pairs and no one else is allowed in their space...not even their own babies after a certain point.
Personally, I think you should reconsider letting it hatch until you can make arrangements for another bird.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would consider investing in a loft if i knew the doves would stay. doves arent homers though so if they ever got out they would be gone forever. which i do not want to happen. i will find a home for they baby once its ready.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
i would consider investing in a loft if i knew the doves would stay. doves arent homers though so if they ever got out they would be gone forever. which i do not want to happen. i will find a home for they baby once its ready.
sometimes it is not that easy to find a home, esp. for one unsexed bird. and in the mean time it will have to have a cage of it's own or it will be injured or worse...Im telling you doves can be brutal when it comes to territory, I would hate to have something happen to the young bird. If you do not want the baby then what is the point of letting it hatch.:confused::)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pictures

here they are =]

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.