Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Checked the baby's mouth and no canker. The baby is doing fine now and is eating with zest. Very active, strong squeaker, this little one is. He has a lot of pinfeathers coming in, as well. As for the younger baby, he too is growing a lot of pinfeathers, though he's significantly smaller than the older baby. The younger one has always been on Kaytee and handfeeding formulas tend to cause a slower growth, so that's what I expected. The younger one is also eating with zest, and the poops of the older baby are getting better--less liquidy each time, and less yellow liquid, too. The urates are starting to look a lot more normal and the poop is a lighter shade of brown. Plus, his legs are a lot better, and everything is looking up.

Very glad to say these little ones are doing fantastically.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Vasp,

By 'Canker' I mean any Trichomonal infection whether appearing to be locazlied in the Throat, or, anywhere else which you would not be able to see.

Possibly he has had a mild Liver or Kidney infection which is clearing up on it's own...which could occasion 'yellow' urates...but please do not ever think that Canker is only an issue to be seen in their Throat, since it or it's like-same lesions can or will be going on in other areas of their system whicc we can not see unless doing a Necropsy.

Best wishes!

Glad things are improving..!

Merry Christmas!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ah, yes, I do recall hearing about canker in internal parts of the body, and that such cases were more serious than external cases. But I figure canker is not likely, as he would probably be in a state with such a problem.

Merry Christmas and thank you for everything, Phil,

Vasp

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Vasp,

Babys can have Canker or some form of Trichomona infection, and the illness will progress at whatever speed or course their system manages to negotiate as it tries to fight it...

Do not think it is something which one day just shows up full-blown...it starts slowly, and progresses from there.

They get Canker...once the parents sense the Baby is ill, the parents abandon them...the Baby is still wanting to be fed, does not "look" sick...we find them, feed them, and if we do not note the 'yellow', typically, in a few more days, the Baby sleeps more, gets droopy...starts panting, opens his eyes less...finally is not wishing to eat, gets feverish, and dies.

Hence, pay close attention always to any 'yellow' urates...if they are not Canker, they are something else infecting the Liver or Kidneys...

Sometimes, s-o-m-e-t-i-m-e-s...a Baby may fight the infeciton on his own and win...

Other times, not...

If he is getting over this on his own, excellent..!

Just make sure his poops/urates do clear up and show no more 'yellow'...in which case he just might have managed alright on his own...with no meds.

Otherwise, it would be good to treat for Canker...anyway...

Phil
l v

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
His poops now are a light brown and have no yellow at all. Just clear fluid and perfectly white urates, just like the other baby. I don't know what it was about, but now that he's not with his parents, he's all better. Do you think it might be because the parents have some sort of problem that should be addressed?

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi Vasp,

If the parents seem fine, bright, actuive, and have good looking poops, probably all is fine with them.

If Baby has got well from whatever-it-was, and makes nice poops and seems fine, has a good appetite and is bright and appropriately active for whatever age he is, most likely all is fine with him too..!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The parents, I may have to investigate. I'm seeing some seriously strange poops down there, sort of like the baby's poops were before, and surrounded by yellow liquid. Of course, they also smell horrible.

The baby is doing very fine, and is bright and active, eating with zest and his poops are now great. Same goes for the little one, who is catching up, little feathers coming in already. It's a pleasure to see them sleep with full crops and happy thoughts, after what they've been through.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts