Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so this is my first post in a long while as you see. I missed pigeon talk . since my last log in which was like 8 months ago I believe I moved to a more desert area. I lost alot of my birds to were I am now. I live basically in a huge desert. I had about 40 birds before the move and the amount went down to 11 sadly. I only have hens now and one breeding pair and a new baby who just hatched an hour ago. okay so for the question I noticed that throughout the backyard and all behind my backyard, there's tons of pine trees surrounding my backayrd. and the loft. now, I know ravens and crows LOVE to nest in pine trees.I really wanna fly this spring.theres about 10 pine trees and there's always ravens around as people also feed them. do you think that there will be no hawks? because of the ravens chasing them off? and would it make it safer my birds if I fly them? thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
G day pigeon girl,I live on the Murray river in Australia we have many crows,magpies,cockatoos alsorts of birds,hawks,falcons,Eagles,you name it and their there,also I'm surrounded by pine trees and gumtrees,in the last 4 weeks out of my yb race team I've only lost3 birds all to raptors,I watch them hit,my ybs are getting smarter when let out they head straight up very high to avoid the raptors,so I see the birds of prey as a traning tool,good luck with this race season

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so very much for your opinion. =) I think ill let some more babies come first. not enough birds..

the pigeon girl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes I think that would be wise, I had the same problem I desperately wanted to fly last season,I only had 10 ybs,after my 3 toss I only had 4 left,so of to stock they went and I'm now glad I did,the are all nest mates,bussharts family line, I crossed each one with a different but closely related bird and I'm extreamly happy with the out come, now we are heading to the race season with some trepidation but also a quiet conference,good luck
Pigeon girl

·
Registered
678 Posts
Restock your loft pigeon girl and go from there. as far as crows go I have plenty of them in my area:) and they help keep the hawks away cool: keep them flying losing birds to predators is natural and part of the game:( we all deal with it. just hang on to some breeders and go from there good luck :cool:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Crows do harras my pigeons but only the young. Adult pigeons can handle the crows by flying away or entering into the loft via trap.

When a crow pair nest on a tree near my house then I get relief from other crows and hawks cuz that crow pair aggressively defend their turf. But same crow pair don't hesitate to harras my ybs. Thankfully crows soon realise that pigeons are local residents and fast for them so they go out and look for trash rather wasting energy on agile pigeons.

When somebody feeds crows near my place then all crows gather and my pigeons become vary or should I say frightened.
Pros and cons are here. So if a crow pair has nested near your place the pigeon girl then it can actually help.

In your situation I would never let my breeding pair out. And the hens also,they won't be let all out at the same time. Half of them will be flown every other day.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you , all of you. I am just gunna restock just wanted tosee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts