Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new pigeon owner here. I recently acquired a lovely Indian Fantail pigeon.

Regarding their sleeping habits, what can I do to make her comfortable while resting/sleeping? Do they prefer nesting bowls, blankets, or just material to rest on?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Is it a male or female pigeon? Is it kept in a cage? Pigeons normally don't need a nest bowl unless they have eggs or babies. They prefer to perch on a flat shelf or something similar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a male or female pigeon? Is it kept in a cage? Pigeons normally don't need a nest bowl unless they have eggs or babies. They prefer to perch on a flat shelf or something similar.
She is a female and she's kept in a cage when she eats or sleeps but is let out often.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The cage should be kept up on a table as they don't feel as safe on the floor. A brick or something for them to perch on in the cage. I prefer a couple of 2X4s attached to make a perch as they are warmer to stand on than a brick. Most pigeons appreciate a wide shelf to stand on, but with the fans tail, you don't want it rubbing on the cage bars, so probably the center of the cage perch would be better.
Pigeons are happier with a companion, rather than being alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cage should be kept up on a table as they don't feel as safe on the floor. A brick or something for them to perch on in the cage. I prefer a couple of 2X4s attached to make a perch as they are warmer to stand on than a brick. Most pigeons appreciate a wide shelf to stand on, but with the fans tail, you don't want it rubbing on the cage bars, so probably the center of the cage perch would be better.
Pigeons are happier with a companion, rather than being alone.
Thanks for the tips, I ordered some flat perches for her to use.
I am getting her a companion in a few months from the same person I bought her from.

When you say brick do you mean a literal building brick?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes. A regular building brick. I prefer a wood shelf, but with a fan, if the tail is going to hit the cage sides, the wire or bars of the cage may mess up the tail feathers. But if you put a brick in the cage, far enough from the sides of the cage, the tail won't hit the cage wire or bars. If I do use a brick, most don't, but I like to wrap it in paper towel, so it isn't so cold to their feet. Anything that gives them something to perch on that is higher then the cage floor.
Can you post some pictures of her?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Mine all have a brick in the centre of their cages and a slate shelf at the end. The tumbler pigeons actually prefer the floor and whoever isn't on the nest just lies on the floor on the puppy pad but all of the ferals use their bricks or slate shelf. You'll see what yours prefers given the choice I expect.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm surprised the tumblers prefer the floor. Most like to be up on some sort of perch.
I use 2 - 7 or 8 inch pieces of 2X4 attached together to make it about 4 inches high, as the wood is warmer than standing on a brick. They like it. Most times I just use the wooden shelf at the end of the cage, but with a fan tail with a large tail, he might hit the cage sides if on a shelf.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts