Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a baby pigeon from a flea market. I just got him yesterday and he thinks I am his parent. I wanted to ask will just be bonded to me only or will he be able to socialize with other humans and birds? He has most of his feathers though so I think he knows he is bird.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pigeons don't always like everyone anyway. They often pick one person. If you are going to get him/her a friend eventually, then it should be fine. Sometimes birds that are kept a long time with no other pigeons around, will not like other pigeons, or even know that they are a pigeon. Keep a large mirror in his cage that he can see the other pigeon, and when he/she gets older, you can get him a companion. You can get a female if you have a male, or even if you have a female. They should get along. Two males will often fight. You will not be able to tell the gender for sure until he is months older, and even then won't be sure, unless it lays an egg. So seeing later if you can get another female for a companion would be a good idea.
What are you feeding him? Is he eating by himself?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pigeons don't always like everyone anyway. They often pick one person. If you are going to get him/her a friend eventually, then it should be fine. Sometimes birds that are kept a long time with no other pigeons around, will not like other pigeons, or even know that they are a pigeon. Keep a large mirror in his cage that he can see the other pigeon, and when he/she gets older, you can get him a companion. You can get a female if you have a male, or even if you have a female. They should get along. Two males will often fight. You will not be able to tell the gender for sure until he is months older, and even then won't be sure, unless it lays an egg. So seeing later if you can get another female for a companion would be a good idea.
What are you feeding him? Is he eating by himself?
Thank you for the advice =). He eats by himself and eats bird seed. I am thinking of getting insects so he gets protein. Would that be fine?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
No, not insects. They don't eat insects. They eat seeds. For protein legumes are good like lentils, peas etc which are rich in protein.
If you can get a good seed mix from a pet store , that would be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts