Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
So I got 2 homers both about 5 weeks old, and put them on my deck at my apartment in bellevue, wa. And of course after having them out for a week or two one of them didnt survive a falcon attack.
So having only the one bird, my single pigeon came to be really tame and has managed to ecape the hawks and all.
A few days ago she didnt come home when it was dark. I thought for sure she got nailed till the following day she came tearing through the the trees exhausted and hugry.
I was relieved to have her back for sure, till around the same time she took off the last time (about 6 pm), she left again, and did not return that evening.
I am assuming she found a mate of the ferral type and must be on eggs somewhere...
So my question is....
Will she rehome herself to where the nest aqnd her babies are born at..and stop coming home all together? Or will she bring the youngsters and her mate here?? Should i lock her up next time she comes home or let her do her thing??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanx..
Jason

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
It seems that when you put them out, you made the decision to give them their freedom, and take their chances. No one can say whether she will come back or not. Why would you want to lock her up now? I don't understand why you would have put out two 5 week old babies in the first place. They are almost certain to be dinner for some bird of pray. And if they were to get lost, will probably starve to death. They don't know how to survive on their own.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Jay3, I don't think you understood what he said...you realize these are homers right? I believe he was letting them out to fly around their loft which is what you do with YOUNG homers in order to let them get their bearings. How old are the birds now? At 5 weeks she wouldn't have a mate nor be laying eggs. That wouldn't happen until at least 4-5 months. Jay3: Why lock them up? Same reason fanciers lock them up after they were at a few days without food, to let them rest and relax, train them to come in a bit better etc etc. I don't understand all the chastising you do to fanciers who fly their birds, thats what they are meant to do, birds fly. :eek:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Jay3, I don't think you understood what he said...you realize these are homers right? I believe he was letting them out to fly around their loft which is what you do with YOUNG homers in order to let them get their bearings. How old are the birds now? At 5 weeks she wouldn't have a mate nor be laying eggs. That wouldn't happen until at least 4-5 months. Jay3: Why lock them up? Same reason fanciers lock them up after they were at a few days without food, to let them rest and relax, train them to come in a bit better etc etc. I don't understand all the chastising you do to fanciers who fly their birds, thats what they are meant to do, birds fly. :eek:
Well maybe I misunderstood it, but they said that they put 2 five week old birds out on their deck, and after a week, one was killed by a falcon. Then there was only one left, who took off. There was no mention of a loft, or other birds. The way it was written, sounds as though they were just turned free to come and go. Please read what they wrote again. Maybe I'm not getting what they are saying.

Edit: By the way Matt, I don't recall having chastised fanciers who have lofts and fly their birds. That's why they have them. Think you're mistaken there.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I would say if you want to keep this bird you need to lock it in for a wile and get it a mate. Even if it is not yet old enough to breed it is still going to want to be around other pigeons.

When I was young I had a ferral pigeon I had taken from a nest at about three weeks old. I hand fed it and made her into quite a nice pet pigeon. She had trained herself to fly to the window sill to let us know it wanted in. By the time we got to the door she was standing there and would walk in for some food and water. One day she showed up with a mate and soon after was gone. A month later she showed up on the window sill and she came in to eat and say goodby. We never saw her again. She had found a mate and a new home.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
I'm confused...were the babies even in a cage on the deck...or did you just expect them to hang around? It's a given that if you have pigeons on your apartment deck, complaints and trouble are on the way. Even more so if the apartment is not a place where you plan to live for years to come and you are training pigeons to come and go form there. What do you think will happen when you move on?
Pigeons don't mate until they are about 6 months old although, I do have one hen that mated at 4 months although she may have found a flock of ferals to roost with in a place that is safer from the birds of prey, than your deck. Smart bird as there is more safty in numbers.
Were it me, I would bring her in and keep her in.

It's not my intention to be mean but this sounds like a well intentioned idea that was not well researched.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Matt...do you think he had a loft on his apartment deck?:confused: If I read the post correctly...2 young [5 week] homers were put on a apartment deck and left to figure it out.:eek:
Sounds like they were intended to be pets that would come and go.I don't think they were being trained to race? If so...the plan was faulty.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If there is no loft how will they lock up the bird?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow!
i actually do have a huge deck with a loft...and when i first got the birds, i did not let them fly for a good month or so, and only in theie fly pen, eventually out and about, since "homing" pigeons do that. I have had pigeons for years, just in the hundreds and never "1". An d the hen still comes home every day at about 10 am, and leaves again at 6 pm. I want to thank Matt for his first reply as i think he understood my intention, thank you matt again!
And as far as I know the only way to get a pigeon aware of predators is to get them in the air with them at 6-9 weeks also at that time they build thier muscles up to be strong enough to survive a chase. am I wrong??

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
beetle...there is safety in numbers and 2 young birds alone is a disaster waiting to happen.
The story seems to have changed some from your first post.:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
this is really odd...pigeon people are always nice, and being a member of the npa and nwpa for 10 years never had nothing but good advice. ive never in my life been accused of "changing" a story. In fact Im sorry I posted at all, even if I miscommunicated.
I dont think ill be posting again...thnx for your time.
PS
The birds were 5 weeks old when i got them, and that was in march, makes them roughly 3 months wich is the time they start breeding..i guess i failed to be absolutely exact and specific as I apparently should have been.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Beetle, most fanciers would have understood what you were saying, I got it on the first try! The people that jumped all over you are rescuers, they already think that folks which race pigeons are evil and cruel etc etc. If it were me I would lock up the hen for a couple days and make sure she understands thats where she is to stay. Funny how the winner of a race can fly hundreds of miles by himself to win, but he needs to be safe with the rest of his kind. Don't think so...also, there are quite a few really good people on this site, Ace is one of them as far as knowing homing pigeons. Hope to see you continue posting.:)

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Thank you Matt! I feel a bit attacked I suppose? Thank you for your kindness!
Jason
Well you shouldn't feel attacked. From your post, it wasn't clear that you had other birds or a loft, so the responses were to what you posted. Had you been clear, then you may have gotten different responses.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Beetle, most fanciers would have understood what you were saying, I got it on the first try! The people that jumped all over you are rescuers, they already think that folks which race pigeons are evil and cruel etc etc. If it were me I would lock up the hen for a couple days and make sure she understands thats where she is to stay. Funny how the winner of a race can fly hundreds of miles by himself to win, but he needs to be safe with the rest of his kind. Don't think so...also, there are quite a few really good people on this site, Ace is one of them as far as knowing homing pigeons. Hope to see you continue posting.:)
Matt...I will thank you in advance for retracting this statement because you have no idea what I think and this statement is incorrect.You are correct that I am a rescure/rehaber/advocate.Some folks that race their birds take good care of them...some don't. I don't lump everyone into the same category.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rescuer, fancier. whatever it is that you are you lack kindness, and should not reply to people who you dont feel "deserve" your keen advice, might save a lot of frustration!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
beetle
Squab

question about single pigeon
Hello!
So I got 2 homers both about 5 weeks old, and put them on my deck at my apartment in bellevue, wa. And of course after having them out for a week or two one of them didnt survive a falcon attack.
So having only the one bird, my single pigeon came to be really tame and has managed to ecape the hawks and all.
A few days ago she didnt come home when it was dark. I thought for sure she got nailed till the following day she came tearing through the the trees exhausted and hugry.
I was relieved to have her back for sure, till around the same time she took off the last time (about 6 pm), she left again, and did not return that evening.
I am assuming she found a mate of the ferral type and must be on eggs somewhere...
So my question is....
Will she rehome herself to where the nest aqnd her babies are born at..and stop coming home all together? Or will she bring the youngsters and her mate here?? Should i lock her up next time she comes home or let her do her thing??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanx..
Jason
__________________________________________________________________________________

beetle
Squab

wow!
i actually do have a huge deck with a loft...and when i first got the birds, i did not let them fly for a good month or so, and only in theie fly pen, eventually out and about, since "homing" pigeons do that. I have had pigeons for years, just in the hundreds and never "1". An d the hen still comes home every day at about 10 am, and leaves again at 6 pm. I want to thank Matt for his first reply as i think he understood my intention, thank you matt again!
And as far as I know the only way to get a pigeon aware of predators is to get them in the air with them at 6-9 weeks also at that time they build thier muscles up to be strong enough to survive a chase. am I wrong??
***************************************__________________________________________________________________________________

Old Today, 03:52 PM
beetle
Squab

this is really odd...pigeon people are always nice, and being a member of the npa and nwpa for 10 years never had nothing but good advice. ive never in my life been accused of "changing" a story. In fact Im sorry I posted at all, even if I miscommunicated.
Last edited by beetle; Today at 04:10 PM.

I don't believe you were accused of changing a story. These ARE two different stories, and going only by what you wrote the first time, how would anyone know that you have a loft of pigeons and were training them? We were only responding to what you wrote.

L

·
0 Posts
Everybody that owns and flys pigeons knows full well that they are safer in a flock then as a single bird on a rooftop or loft, the more eyes on the skys the better.. and as for your safe race winner traveling all those miles well pigeons pretty much stay in groups alot longer throu the course then when they fly alone ahead of the pack, you have no clue how many first place birds are taken out of action on their way home causing them to lose a race. Many get taken out of action or wounded on their way home from a race or even just during a training toss.. although most birds that are killed by birds of prey are taken either right before landing or when taking off ,or just sitting about around the loft so your comparison doesnt even come into play here .

·
Registered
810 Posts
Maybe, maybe not, neither one of us fly with the birds. Why do so many of us use single tosses as a way of training? Are we purposely trying to get our birds hurt/killed? Thats not why I do it.

L

·
0 Posts
Maybe, maybe not, neither one of us fly with the birds. Why do so many of us use single tosses as a way of training? Are we purposely trying to get our birds hurt/killed? Thats not why I do it.
you are right once the bird leaves on a toss you dont know what happens to them but it is a fact that their chance of survival does increase when they are flown in numbers .. flying them on single tosses just helps them not to rely on the rest of the flock to get them home, but it doesnt increase their chances for survival .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts