Pigeon-Talk banner

Question about young birds ranging

Tags
ranging
3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  SmithFamilyLoft 
#1 ·
When the ybs are out for hours, does anyone know if they are flying the entire time? Ive noticed some nasty green droppings in my loft. I was wondering if they got into some nasty food/water. I guess this is a two part question. I gave them aueromycin-sulmet (sp.?) in the water. Is this a good antibiotic, am I doing this correct?

Thanks, Matt

#2 ·
This is just me but I would not jump on antibiotics for a few green droppings. Droppings can get green and runny from exertion. Often birds will show these symptoms when returning from a race only to have things clear up in a day or so. Try some probiotic first. Give them some rest and see what happens. I think we are all too quick to start pumping our birds full of chemicals. Let nature have a chance to take care of it first.

Just my thoughts.

Dan

#3 ·
When the ybs are out for hours, does anyone know if they are flying the entire time? Ive noticed some nasty green droppings in my loft. I was wondering if they got into some nasty food/water. I guess this is a two part question. I gave them aueromycin-sulmet (sp.?) in the water. Is this a good antibiotic, am I doing this correct?

Thanks, Matt
Matt,

There is a wide range of opinion on the matter of medication to begin with. I have my own opinions on the subject, and so I will share mine...free of charge.

Personally, I think it is bad management to throw stuff in the water, and then ask questions later. But, to be truthful, that is the society we have become, and it should come as no surprise, that fanciers have also been very quick to resort to drugs, even when they are clueless as to what may have caused the condition.

If your child developed a runny nose, or a loose stool, would you mix up a batch of your aueromycin-sulmet and have them drink it ? No, unless you are an unfit parent, you would take the kid to a Dr. and have the problem diagnosed. But, for some unknown reason, when it comes to our pigeons, we simply reach into our stash of drugs, and starting pouring the stuff into them.

Since, out of necessity, we must become our own avian veterinarian, it behooves us, to study up on the subject matter, as the frequent use and misuse, and/or abuse of anti-biotics, will surely result in numerous and frequent medical problems. Like Ad Schaerlackens has said, new fanciers should stay away from vitamins and drugs. I have practiced this concept with our new members at our York Racing Pigeon Club, and my observation has been, that on the whole, they have healthier pigeons then the old timers who will give drugs at every sniffle.

#4 ·
I realize that I am a newbie on here and my opinion does not count for much, but I agree with Warren and Karen. I have been in the medical field for 40 years now and our society and medicine has drastically changed. I have been fortunate to see unbelievable improvements over the years but one thing we are failing at is being drug free. Prescription drugs are given out like treats and we have a generation, no two generations now that seek drugs at the sign of a sniffle. This mentality has carried over to animals as well. I believe in the conservative approach and I practice it with my family and my animals. So far, no one has died:D My children are strong and almost never get sick, ( a great blessing I realize), and when they do, we don't run to the doctor or start drugs. How much more independant did God make the animals? I believe much more so, simply due to the fact that they are animals. We have made many animals weaker and more dependant on man by changing their diet or habitat or both. I hope my birds remain healthy and never have to do drugs, but like I said, I'm a newbie and have lots to learn about pigeons.

#5 ·
Amen to that! I was diagnosed with diabetes last year and my doctor filled me up with all kinds of medicine. I hate having to take medicine or drugs if I don;t have too so I got serious and asked him what alternatives there were to controlling my medical issue....he said diet and exercise. At the time I was over weight and unfit and these 2 things didn't seem possible, lol. I promised myself that I would beat the diabetes my way with diet and exercise. In a years time I was able to get my health back to normal and I lost 75 pounds along the way and I'm now down to 170 lbs which was what I weighed back in high school! This goes to show you that meds/drugs are not always the answer. :D

Henry

#11 ·
Amen to that!!! I have lost 45 pounds and still dropping. Bare in mind I started at 6'3" and 325lb, and I'm called Big T for a reason. I'm off blood pressure meds and love fish more than steaks now. My plan is to lose a daughter. My 16 year old daughter weights 105lbs and I plan to lose that much total to get to 220lb. I doing weight watchers with the wife and their scale keeps me honest. I am also taking long romantic walks with the wife.

Funny thing is, I started this because my wife needed me to help her and wanted me to go with her so I would know how to help. I think we help each other now. I treat the plan like my golf game, the lower the score the better.

I agree that our society treats symptoms and not problems. Too many times a pill is what we get for the pain when the underlying cause is left untreated. I was given a pill for blood pressure when my weight was the real cause.

PS Do NOT tell my daughter I told you her weight!!! Teenage girls are so emotional!!!

#8 ·
When your young birds have just started to range, it is an exciting, and scary period for them. Loose droppings are no big deal. I have NOT used any Antibiotics since i have gotten back into the Birds.(three years) Will I? only if there is a REAL Problem, and they REALLY need it. I also give NO Vitamins in the water, nothing! only time i did, or would is if i was Racing and they were being Stressed a lot. Dave

#9 ·
So, as my team loses weight, Ill just give them water! Ive already sent a dropping sample off. Warren. Im sorry, but if my son was sick, or hurting I would give him tylenol or whatever is ok for a 16 month old. As far as I know, my birds have an illness and I might not have time to wait for the diagnosis. Until then I think Ill try som antibios to be safe. I do not pump my birds full of meds.

All Ive recieved from my TWO part question is that II shouldnt medicate for any little symptom. I know this and do not do this!

#12 ·
To answer the question, my birds are starting to disappear when I let them loft fly. If they are nearby they come when I ring the bell, but mostly they show up around dark. This is the time when I start my road training.

Only give meds when they are sick and if they are flying off and coming back, they're not sick. While gone they may be landing in a field and eating other stuff that is making their poop green.

#17 ·
Even if your birds landed with Ferals, it does not mean they will get Sick! Where did this Sickness Phobia start? Are you aware that antibiotics CAN open your Birds up to other Problems in the future?
Freaking out is NOT a good Management Tool with Pigeons, or any Living Creature. I pay attention to droppings, BUT i always remember Stress factors, Ect.
I have NEVER Medicated because of how the Droppings looked...In my Youth, our Parents took the approach you take.. "oh my God" Medicate the Child! Now i have NO Teeth, Due to Antibiotics. LET your Birds Immune system do what God intended it to do! These are NOT Lady Gouldian Finches!
STOP Freaking out!
Dave

#20 ·
Somtimes birds do go down away from your loft esp. if gone for a hour or more with no sight of them. I have seen it before when I was driving home 4 miles from my place there my birds were in a field. This don't really hurt them, I don't like it but what ya gonna do? I also believe the healthest birds are the ones allowed to forage the ground. I think they get trace minerals and stuff they need from the ground. Could they pick something bad up, sure but that has not been my experience and if your birds are flying for a hour they will have green runny droppings and this is normal. The fact that they are ranging and flying alot tells me they are probably in good health cause I can tell you 100 percent if there was something wrong they would stop flying.

#21 ·
If the birds are loosing weight my first question would be, have the birds been wormed. Worms are very prevelant in the spring and are a very common occurance. If they have not been wormed I would do that before considering antibiotics. Make sure they get a probiotic after worming as that can stress the birds somewhat.

Dan

#22 ·
My loft airspace is surprisingly pigeon's intersection point. What I have observed that those birds that actually ranged actually makes a u-turn and go back to their loft. I have witnessed that many times when birds are ranging, once they reached certain place, makes that turn and go home.

Henry,

I was also diagnosed with this mysterious allergy that the doctor prescribed some medicine to be taken my whole life that contains steroid. I said I am not going to do that so I ended up lifting weight myself and that allergy disappeared as well. I occasionally lift weights from time to time. Unfortunately I haven't been consistent this past 1.5 years. I have been slacking off that I haven't workout since December last year. I am skinny again losing all those muscle weights. Exercise is hard to do. Eating junk food is easier. As I write this I am about to make some coffee, my comfort food! I think my pigeons are healthier with those vinegar and garlic stuff and exercising every day. LOL!

#24 ·
Brummie, Dave,
Immune system can be improved whether to some diet or exercise. It is also possible to overwhelm the immune system like stress, for example. Adding vinegar or garlic helps the immune system, I suppose, because they are not that much overwhelmed by those "bad" bacteria. If you will, you can "assist" the immune system and not "replace" it say with too much antibiotic. That is the way I view it.

#26 ·
There is much which can be learned by reading these threads. But, one must also maintain a level of "common sense", and not take anything anybody says on this site, as 100% gospel, including me. The best thing that can result, is to have you start thinking in areas you may not have thought before.

I highly suggest, you read every page on Dr. Walker's site at : http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/

Keep also in mind, that he has also become a merchant of pigeon supplies. But, the fact that he is an avian vet, and owns pigeons, gives him a lot of creditability in my book. Not everyone who posts on here, puts their pigeons through the stress of racing. That in and of itself, makes a BIG difference. Because with racing comes stress, and close contact with a lot of other pigeons, some of which will be sick. This makes a huge difference, in how one should care for their pigeons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.