Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 95% positive that my two young birds are male and female. They're about 2.5 months old.

My male bird bullies my female bird by pecking at her, pulling her feathers and chasing her away if she gets too close. He doesn't do this every time she gets close but enough that she is very wary of him and watches him closely when she approaches...if he gives any indication that he's going to "attack" she runs, and he rarely pursues very far. He will also chase her away from the food dish, so I've had to start keeping two dishes in their enclosure.

My question is - will they ever pair up if she's afraid of him? I'm not interested in them hatching babies - it's just that I have a single indoor cage for them and with cooler temperatures coming, I'm concerned about keeping them both in it while he is still showing theis naughty behavior - I don't want my girl to be in a confined space where she's unable to get away from him. I'm hoping that if they do pair up, then he will stop picking at her and be a good husband :rolleyes:

I do have a very large dog kennell that I can use for one of them in the interrim if the weather isn't nice enough to put them outside. I don't mind purchasing a second cage...just thought I'd pick the experts brains regarding this behavior and the possibility of them pairing.

FYI - this is the cage I have, and the kennell comfortably holds a large German Shedder.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...id=1415031518&sr=8-2&keywords=large+bird+cage

Again - thank you all in advance.

Jessica

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hope you dont leave it standing up like pictured.If youre going to keep both birds in it use the68 Iin.for the bottom to give them more space.Hope this helps.Good luck with your birds.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you pigeonraiser...so far, the only time they spend in this cage is for sleeping at night. I removed the round perches and installed flat platforms. During the day when we aren't home, they're in their outdoor enclosure that is 9'H x 9'L x 4'W...when we are home, they have free range of our home, and they follow us from room to room. We are in Charleston, SC, so we've had very mild weather thus far...just worried about how to handle colder weather until they pair, if they do because of his bully issue.

I love my darling Rio, but he's kind of a jerk to Ms. Lola.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi Jessica,
Pigeons are different from parrots. They like horizontal spaces than vertical ones. But since you said they're gonna stay in there only for the night they may do okay in it. But when flying vertically up they may break tip of their feathers.

A pigeon needs two square feet space to live comfortably. For 2 pigeons multiply it with 2 which gives 4 square feet of cage (floor) space. That will be ideal for them to live in. You can fit in some comfortable flat perches in the cage and they will share the cage if the perches are spaced far enough that one doesn't get bothered by company of the other until they get paired which they will eventually when they reach sexual maturity at 5-7 months of age.

At 2.5 months of age nothing can be said for sure about their gender. Hens too, do fight. But you may be true with your assumption of their genders.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I'm 95% positive that my two young birds are male and female. They're about 2.5 months old.

My male bird bullies my female bird by pecking at her, pulling her feathers and chasing her away if she gets too close. He doesn't do this every time she gets close but enough that she is very wary of him and watches him closely when she approaches...if he gives any indication that he's going to "attack" she runs, and he rarely pursues very far. He will also chase her away from the food dish, so I've had to start keeping two dishes in their enclosure.

My question is - will they ever pair up if she's afraid of him? I'm not interested in them hatching babies - it's just that I have a single indoor cage for them and with cooler temperatures coming, I'm concerned about keeping them both in it while he is still showing theis naughty behavior - I don't want my girl to be in a confined space where she's unable to get away from him. I'm hoping that if they do pair up, then he will stop picking at her and be a good husband :rolleyes:

I do have a very large dog kennell that I can use for one of them in the interrim if the weather isn't nice enough to put them outside. I don't mind purchasing a second cage...just thought I'd pick the experts brains regarding this behavior and the possibility of them pairing.

FYI - this is the cage I have, and the kennell comfortably holds a large German Shedder.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-P...id=1415031518&sr=8-2&keywords=large+bird+cage

Again - thank you all in advance.

Jessica
With them being so young it is impossible to know what sex they really are, unless you had a DNA test done. Guessing is all one has, but when people do that they tend to be disappointed they guessed wrong. Time is what they need to see how it turns out. Also IMO I'm not too keen on letting nest mates pair up and hatch young.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Jass...I will be more than happy to have Dear Hubby build something a little larger for the rare times they must be indoors due to inclement weather, if I find it necessary in the coming months (and if they don't pair and settle down). Originally, this cage was purchased for a single small dove that passed away several months ago. We then decided to get two baby pigeons because we couldn't find any doves locally. I had no idea they could be such stinkers!

Spirit wings, thank you also for your input...while these little guys are from the same loft, they aren't from the same nest...I selected them myself and they are definitely not nest mates. I have no intention of ever letting them hatch out any eggs, as these kiddos are family pets, and we take pet birth control very seriously in our home so that everyone gets plenty of attention and care. If there are any eggs, I plan to replace them with dummy eggs. My only hope in them pairing is that they will be happier and friendlier with each other. My reasoning for assuming their sex is that Rio is exhibiting the male behavior of cooing, bowing and chasing, as well as having a rounded forehead, while Lola has a flatter head and holds her tail very high when walking around...although I know these tells aren't definitive.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thank you Jass...I will be more than happy to have Dear Hubby build something a little larger for the rare times they must be indoors due to inclement weather, if I find it necessary in the coming months (and if they don't pair and settle down). Originally, this cage was purchased for a single small dove that passed away several months ago. We then decided to get two baby pigeons because we couldn't find any doves locally. I had no idea they could be such stinkers!

Spirit wings, thank you also for your input...while these little guys are from the same loft, they aren't from the same nest...I selected them myself and they are definitely not nest mates. I have no intention of ever letting them hatch out any eggs, as these kiddos are family pets, and we take pet birth control very seriously in our home so that everyone gets plenty of attention and care. If there are any eggs, I plan to replace them with dummy eggs. My only hope in them pairing is that they will be happier and friendlier with each other. My reasoning for assuming their sex is that Rio is exhibiting the male behavior of cooing, bowing and chasing, as well as having a rounded forehead, while Lola has a flatter head and holds her tail very high when walking around...although I know these tells aren't definitive.
I hear ya! These two could pair up, they know what sex they are from about four months to six months of age. After a year of age they pretty much know what they are doing then, so you have a ways to go before the mystery is settled, sometimes even then without eggs to tell the tale it is hard to know for sure as some hens may not lay right away.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Since there are only two pigeons in the house they will most probably bond eventually if not pair up. Since the thread starter doesn't want any young from them,gender might not count cuz in such situations same sexed pigeons do pair up. That was my point.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone!

I have enjoyed your responses immensely!

I so enjoy watching those silly little birds walking around the house, interacting with us and each other...watching Rio learning to coo and strut his stuff (even thought he's not very good at it yet, LOL). :p

They even follow us from room to room and if they're in the kitchen and realize we have left, the immediately come to our bedroom! And when they're in their outdoor enclosure, and Hubby and I are out there, they go right to their door so that we will open it and let them out. They're SO much smarter than I ever imagined, and are such a joy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts