Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it normal to loose birds on a second toss on the same area even though they were able to make it back on the first toss?

also, how come they do not come home as a flock even though they start off as a flock after release?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
some bird are stronger and faster they come home first.... the bird u lost can be many reason ...a hawk or maybe it just got lost.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
it is good to loft fly them for awhile before taking them down the road, make sure they are flying as a group and routing. how old are the birds? sometimes a hawk can scatter them and some or one can get lost or even caught. some homers are faster than the others and break away and come straight home other may circle around a bit.. it is hard to tell what they do once they are released, but with my birds I get a few home first and then most of them and then after that a few straglers, and these are older birds though.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have lost 8 birds this year tossing. Some are not strong on the wing or maybe a hawk scared them or got to them . Or even hunters doing target practice. Thats why some racers have 40,50 or more youngsters to start before the season. Anything could happen. When the race season start you may lose some also. They will fly to another racers loft. Only the strong will survive.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some of them are yearlings and some are 4mos old. i have toss them at 30 miles last monday and they all came home even though it was a little bit foggy but today the weather was perfect around 68 degrees and some are not yet home.
what is the average time for a bird to fly home at 30 miles?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
some of them are yearlings and some are 4mos old. i have toss them at 30 miles last monday and they all came home even though it was a little bit foggy but today the weather was perfect around 68 degrees and some are not yet home.
what is the average time for a bird to fly home at 30 miles?
depends, like said before, not every toss will go well, sometimes a hawk can scatter them and they take their time getting home or they could run into power lines, or went down to get a drink somewhere.. If they have been tossed before, I feel they will come in in the next few days. also if they are not hungry enough perhaps they took a detour to check things out.
another thing that can happen is they could of crossed paths with anothers pigeons being released and followed them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Next time change your release point. It seems to me ,as some others have pointed out,that they may be running into something. Some should at least make it home in a group.
Kurps

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is it better to release in small number like 10-15 or as whole flock around 30?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
we all have different opions of this--me--I would let them loose in different numbers--some days just a few at a time -other days all of them-some days 4-5-6 at a time

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sky tx. what's the idea behind letting them on small number? is it to avoid getting attack by predators or to train them to be independent?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
sky tx. what's the idea behind letting them on small number? is it to avoid getting attack by predators or to train them to be independent?
train them to be independent, some time if i have time i train one at a time, so in the race he or she wont be scare to move out of the flock , if they have too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Some of the guys have already answered it. You always let the birds, especially ybs, out in large flocks and they naturally have their flock mentality. Come race day, your ybs will probably follow someone else's bird home before realizing that they are at the wrong loft.

By releasing birds in smaller numbers, if forces the birds to think for themselves and stops them from just following one another.

I train my birds as a large group all together until I get about 20 miles out. From there, I will release in smaller groups of 5 or so every 5 miles. If I have the time, I also do single releases which will really test the birds.

It decreases the chance of your ybs following someone else's birds home on race day.

As sky_tx said, you want leaders and not followers.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Sometimes when I get to the training point --toss 3-4 drive 1/2 mile toss 3-4 drive 1/2 mile toss 3-4 then start back doing the same thing-That gets them apart and doe not take a lot of time.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
With respect to those mysterious losses, they seem to happen. Even scientific experiments have confirmed it. It is weird. It is not normal, just that it happens.

With respect to the flock question, the reason is that some birds are faster than others so they end up with their own group. Sometimes predators can scatter them so they will come home later. During flocking some birds split. Gps data shows that.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i like that idea of tossing them in smaller groups and i understand how it can be very beneficial for the birds to be more independent.
what's the hottest temperature i can do toss training cus i am not able to do early morning due to school?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i toss my birds today at 40miles for the first time and thinking of doing the same distance on saturday. i try to give the birds a day to rest...is that reasonable? also can i jump them to 50 or 45 after saturday's toss?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
How long did it take for them to come home???? Your birds need 1 hour of flying time ever day. I take my birds 30 miles ever day for 9 days before the first race. Our first race for young birds is a 150 mile.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Marvin are you going to race or just road training your birds for fun? You can gradually increase the miles to 10 miles if your birds have been on the same place atleast twice and homing in good time. Also an afternoon toss is okay if thats the only time you have but you do need to have your birds also loft fly in the morning just for them to orient and locate the position of the sun, that way if you toss them on a saturday morning they can orient the sun and navigate properly. Remember all races is always in the morning as soon as the sun rise so give your birds some tools to be able to compete with the rest of the birds that are accustom to flying in the morning.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts