Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel sort of stupid asking, but I have a question regarding normal behavior of pigeons. I recently "inherited" two pigeons (a male and female) that were caught from the wild and used for falconry. After they'd been used to train the falcon, they were released. They refused to leave. After 2 days of them not leaving our backyard we decided to take them in to keep them safe, since we have cats that are amazing hunters. They are fairly well tamed and don't seem to have too many problems with people approaching them.

Anyway, they are being fed cracked corn, fresh fruits and veggies, and wild birdseed. They are housed in a 3x5 cage which they seem to love, and will only leave a few times a day to stretch their wings. In the corner of their home they have a nesting area, but have up until now preferred their perch.

This morning at around 8am one of them started cooing constantly, a quiet coo-coo noise and is laying in the corner nesting area. They do it for about 5 minutes off and on throughout the morning. Both of them are there now, the female laying down and the male standing by her side. I've let them out to fly, I've handled them, checked them over, and nothing seems to be wrong.

So finally the question: Is this normal behavior? Is it "nesting" behavior, or something that I should be concerned about? I've had starlings and sparrows, but these are my first pigeons, and I have little idea of what is normal.

Thanks!

Jayda

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know about pigeons but that is what my doves have been doing when they are "nesting" a few days later, I usually find an egg.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
yes they are about to start nesting. you will see him court her, dance, bow, drag his tail spin in circles and so on even " kiss" him feeding her, soon she will lay eggs say 10 days after they mate. if you don't want babies, get fake eggs for them and let them sit them the whole 17 to 20 day period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts