Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was wondering why when i like my doves out they always get caught by cats but my mate has got some in a dovecote and he has never lost one to a cat and he has more of a cat problem than i have is it that when doves have been out for a while they begin to learn about danger and what not?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have cats in my neighborhood. The cat will always be smarter and quicker. You have to know that, understand that, and respect it. Because of it you should be outside with your birds. Most of the times your presence alone will keep predators away. The birds we raise are so far removed from thier "feral" instincts it's not even fair for them.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Are these doves as in domestic ringneck type, James, or fantail (or other white) pigeons? I'd think that if they keep getting caught, you need to have them in a secure environment with plenty of flight space and not let them out, or follow ggoss's suggestion.

Maybe your place just has better cover for cats to creep around in and better opportunity to get to your birds?

John

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are these doves as in domestic ringneck type, James, or fantail (or other white) pigeons? I'd think that if they keep getting caught, you need to have them in a secure environment with plenty of flight space and not let them out, or follow ggoss's suggestion.

Maybe your place just has better cover for cats to creep around in and better opportunity to get to your birds?

John
they are white homing pigeons i have never had problems with cats intill these pigeons came my other ones was fine and are still here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts