Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember the story of how Stewie, my little girl, came to me (went out of a coffee, she landed on my head). Things have been going well (although I had to not handle her for a few weeks, as she would not stop laying eggs and I was very concerned for her. Not handling her, she did sit on the eggs, until she realized they would not hatch.) Anyway, my question is, I feed her a dove mix and the only thing she will eat is the canadian peas! She just pushes everything else out of the dish (and makes quite a mess). I have offered regular peas, she won't touch them. I know this is not a good 'diet'. Can anyone offer help on what else? I also gave her a little of my cockatiels safflower mix, which she ate. I do give her oyster shell and grit. What else can/should I offer? Thank you!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Some of you may remember the story of how Stewie, my little girl, came to me (went out of a coffee, she landed on my head). Things have been going well (although I had to not handle her for a few weeks, as she would not stop laying eggs and I was very concerned for her. Not handling her, she did sit on the eggs, until she realized they would not hatch.) Anyway, my question is, I feed her a dove mix and the only thing she will eat is the canadian peas! She just pushes everything else out of the dish (and makes quite a mess). I have offered regular peas, she won't touch them. I know this is not a good 'diet'. Can anyone offer help on what else? I also gave her a little of my cockatiels safflower mix, which she ate. I do give her oyster shell and grit. What else can/should I offer? Thank you!
well your container would help, below is a link for some ideas, the designs help with the tossing of seed with the beak and making a mess!:p...I feed harrisons high potency fine, and give safflower/blackoil sunflower one time a day for a treat, the harrisons stays in the dish all the time and they eat on that a few times a day, I do not get the slinging this way and the dish I make is like the one with the butter dish turned over.
http://www.internationaldovesociety.com/feedcontainers.htm

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for your concern over your birds diet.

A pigeon mix would be the best diet, but the variety isn't going to do her any good if she is flinging out the good seeds for the ones she likes best. Safflower is very high in fat, and they will pick them out first.

You are going to have to try a little "tough love" on your girl. Give her a small bowl of seed with just the amount of seeds she will eat per meal and don't give her anymore until she cleans it all (or most) of it up. At first she will hesitate but when she gets good and hungry she will learn to eat everything on her plate. Once she eats her entire breakfast then feed her her dinner at dinner time. If the food spoils or gets full of poop, of course, remove it and replensih but only when it is meal time.

I had to do that with my birds, as they were so spoiled, it took a few days but now they clean up most if not everything and then they get more when it is mealtime. Leaving it all out all day for them seems to be the problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks on both suggestions! Now, is the dove mix not right? I got it in the feed store down the street. She said she can order pigeon mix, but it only comes in 50 lb bags (and with only one......lol) I have seen others say offer greens, what type should I try?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
If this is a pigeon and not a dove, a pigeon mix would be best, but I certainly understand you not wanting to buy 50 lbs of pigeon seed. Some feed stores will sell by the lb, but there seed for along time and gets old, because they don't have enough demand.

You can use the dove mix and possibly add some of these ingredients as needed.

http://www.purgrain.com/ingredients.htm

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is the site I was talking about. Do they sell online? I was looking at some of their mixes and was thinking of getting one from them (maybe one with a little more of the peas and a little less of the smaller seeds, which she does not touch)?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I just emailed them and asked for a local dealer (I am also going to ask the feed mill if they would become a dealer, so I can get it from them, if possible).
Harrison's bird food in the high potency -fine, works great and they get all they need to stay healthy, since you only have one bird this is the food I would reccommend. with seed treats, link http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/products/hpf.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts