Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to bring my squeaker that adopted me inside...unsuccessfully. Please excuse that I refer to the bird as a she...obviously too young to tell, but it doesn't feel right to refer to her as 'It'. With her in the house for a whole day I was an absolute sinus disaster by morning:(

So we've compromised. She comes inside when I get home from work and stays in for several hours, returning to the loft at night. She really loves being inside with me, and never leaves my shoulder. She even props her wings out and snuggles up for naps when we are watching TV. She must be getting spoiled though, as yesterday I was running errands all evening so the only time she saw me was at feeding times.
She let me have it today... I mean she was a VERY angry bird this morning at feeding time. She pretty much attacked me. As soon as I came into her section she flew right into my face, scratched me all over...started biting me viciously. She dug a toenail into my cheek and slid all the way down to my jaw, causing a pretty good scratch that bled. I had to hold her still and stroke her until she stopped biting and finally was back to her normal snuggly self. She refused to get off me to eat with the rest of the birds and reverted back to only taking food from my hand while perching on me. Then I had to shove her back several times away from the door to shut it to leave. She met me at the aviary making an AWFUL squealing/screeching/squeaking sound...I could hear her all the way to the house, still carrying on. I guess I'd better be sure to clear a few hours every day to devote to her...or face her wrath.

I'd like to order some PGWear for her...since she won't get off of me at all, that's where all the poop ends up. While I don't mind too much, not everyone is so enthusiastic about it.

I know some of you have PGWear...exactly how adjustable is it?

She is 5 weeks old today and is already bigger than Six, who was a spring baby. I'm pretty sure she going to be a big bird, but is obviously still growing and filling out.

Can I measure her for PGWear now? Or should I wait another month or two?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
do not know anything about the PG wear, but just to let you know it can be dangerouse to make sudden temperture changes, esp. from warm back to cold.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I ordered my PG wear for Jackie when she was 6 months old. It was a little big for her then. She is now 18 months old and the PG wear had enough adjustment in it so it fits fine now.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hmm...I really didn't consider that. Even for just a few hours at a time?
yes, not sure of the scientific particulars, but something to do with their lungs and sudden temp changes, esp. in NY cold...birds always need to be acclumated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm....I guess I could try putting her in one of the spare bedrooms and see if that helps...or live with it. She's just not much of a loft bird...I think she's just a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket...doesn't fit in out there.

I ordered my PG wear for Jackie when she was 6 months old. It was a little big for her then. She is now 18 months old and the PG wear had enough adjustment in it so it fits fine now.
Ooo....that's a long wait. I suppose I should wait awhile then until her growth plateaus some.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hmm....I guess I could try putting her in one of the spare bedrooms and see if that helps...or live with it. She's just not much of a loft bird...I think she's just a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket...doesn't fit in out there.

Ooo....that's a long wait. I suppose I should wait awhile then until her growth plateaus some.
young birds can get picked on by older birds. maybe she is being harrassed in there. 5 weeks is still young, some of mine are still being fed by the cock bird at that age.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
young birds can get picked on by older birds. maybe she is being harrassed in there. 5 weeks is still young, some of mine are still being fed by the cock bird at that age.
That's entirely possible. Whenever I'm in the loft, she's perching on me...which is not something my other birds will do. So my observation of their interaction with her is pretty limited. She's never had any injuries, so I don't think that they are hurting her in any way. I did see Six chasing her around one day, but he seemed more curious than anything else. She does seem fearful of the other birds though.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
sounds like she is too young to be tossed to wolves, so to speak, I would just keep this one in the house till she can defend herself better, or watch your birds and remove the bully. she should'nt have to live like that.

G

·
I brought my house birds outside all last winter with no problems. I put them in their little aviary almost every afternoon, even in 35 degree weather, as long as it was sunny.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like she is too young to be tossed to wolves, so to speak, I would just keep this one in the house till she can defend herself better, or watch your birds and remove the bully. she should'nt have to live like that.
Well, I don't know if I have a bully in the true sense of the word...she's not being hurt at all, but if there is a problem out there when I'm not present, I would say it would have to be Six. He's the only one I've seen take any interest in her at all. He's a bold young male, so he fits the bill.

I think I will just bring her inside. She's not a bird that I wanted to leave in the loft anyway because of her markings. I'll have to figure out something...hopefully back in one of the spare rooms it won't be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I brought my house birds outside all last winter with no problems. I put them in their little aviary almost every afternoon, even in 35 degree weather, as long as it was sunny.
After experiencing sudden cold temperatures, respiratory infections or a cold can occur; this can quickly kill a bird. best not to do sudden temp changes, it is dangerouse. Im not making this up...just a warning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts