Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being fairly new to the sport I have a question regarding 9 young birds that I have been loft flying and taking a few miles out on occasion. None of the birds in question is a year old yet and pretty much assorted ages.
These birds are possible decendants of various strains, 3 are red and they donot seem to stick with the other 6 when the loft is opened for them to get a little exercise. The other 6 are dark cheques, lite cheques and 3 solid blacks. These 6 birds stick together like a glove in flight and really look good and the reds seem to be slower coming out of the loft and they stick together however when all birds are released from a few miles the reds are usually the first back. Is the reason for this the different levels of maturity or is it possible the reds are a different strain with different characteristics ? Kind of scratching my head on this so if any of you have ideas please speak up. The approximate age of these birds run about 5 to 9 months. Rabbit

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi RABBIT I realy think that you answered your question your self as this may well be the reason for the different actions of these birds.I would not worry about, do you plan to race these birds? ............GEORGE;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George, Thanks for the response ! At this time I just consider myself a patio hobbyist due to my work schedule ( fri - mon 12 hr shifts ). But , I got my start from a well respected flyer in my area and I'm spending this time learning and sorting out which birds will make up the right combination for a possible go at racing when I retire. Due to loft size I am unable to house more than about 40 birds and breeder housing for 12 pair. I was loaned an ample supply of his flyers when I got my start and now the loaners are back home and I'm working with the off spring trying to determine which are the best to breed from. Rabbit

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I did notice that myself. Flying different ages can give variable results. Younger ones may not able to keep up with the adults, for example.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts