Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been keeping pigeons since June this year. I've done a lot of research but still have a question about prophylactically treating pigeons against common diseases. Do most people routinely medicate? It seems a shame to upset their systems if thy show no signs and symptoms. I'll do it if it's recommended-just questioning. I do worm every three months and all my birds are vaccinated. Just wonder if I should do anything else.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
I believe some people, as well as worming, take regular preventative measures against such things as Canker and Coccidiosis, and that is often routine for people who take in rescue pigeons.

However, it's not recommended to also give antibiotics prophylactically.

Some pigeon keepers recommend natural prducts like ACV and garlic to help keep birds' systems in good form for fighting off some of the common problems.

John

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Avoid using antibiotics as "preventive medication". Antibiotics prevent nothing. They are used to treat certain infections but, by no means, prevent anything. Actually they may make the birds more susceptible to infection because they eliminate the normal beneficial bacteria; and these bacteria protect the birds, in some degree, from infection.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Agree with John_D and Spirit Wings if your pigeons are healthy there is no need for medicating. Good feed, supplements and probiotics are the best. Spend enough time with your birds daily to monitor and check their health and have some basic medicines on hand (just in case).

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Do you recommend Nolvasan in the drinking water?
you can use that, but the apple cider vinegar works the same and it is natural. I use the nolvasan in a spray bottle W/water in the loft after scraping and diluted with water to clean wounds if you ever need to.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Nolvasan in the drinking water?

you can use that, but the apple cider vinegar works the same and it is natural. I use the nolvasan in a spray bottle W/water in the loft after scraping and diluted with water to clean wounds if you ever need to.
OK, now I'm confused :confused:
Nolvasan for cleaning the loft and wounds, yes. But it kills bacteria, so why would it be put in the drinking water? Antibiotics kill bacteria and so will nolvasan :confused:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
OK, now I'm confused :confused:
Nolvasan for cleaning the loft and wounds, yes. But it kills bacteria, so why would it be put in the drinking water? Antibiotics kill bacteria and so will nolvasan :confused:
I know, I was :confused: when I heard it also, but it can be a good prevenative for salmonella, here is what they say.:)

"maintaining an acid pH level below 4.0 thanks to Improver in our lofts are all helpful steps in keeping this disease under control. Several veterinarians have recommended the use of Nolvasan disinfectant at one teaspoon per gallon (4.5 liters) of drinking water regularly to help maintain an acidic environment in the droppings. Regular use against salmonella has proven to be especially effective. "

The ACV Im pretty sure does the same thing with the ph, I would think though the added benifits of ACV because of the probios would be my first choice.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I know, I was :confused: when I heard it also, but it can be a good prevenative for salmonella, here is what they say.:)

"maintaining an acid pH level below 4.0 thanks to Improver in our lofts are all helpful steps in keeping this disease under control. Several veterinarians have recommended the use of Nolvasan disinfectant at one teaspoon per gallon (4.5 liters) of drinking water regularly to help maintain an acidic environment in the droppings. Regular use against salmonella has proven to be especially effective. "

The ACV Im pretty sure does the same thing with the ph, I would think though the added benifits of ACV because of the probios would be my first choice.
But what about it killing the good bacteria too? :confused:

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

DITTO, that's what I use. :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I like ACV as it does the same thing and, as was mentioned, is more natural.
Plamenh, I do think it a good idea about using nolvasan to spray after scraping. How often do you do that? I do go in and disinfect all the perches, shelves, and floor, but not every day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts