Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It's normal. It's dust. Pigeons are very dusty.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
LOL...always save the panic as a last resort!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Yes :) Especially if he's moulting in new feathers. The big flakey pieces are the dried up sheaths that used to protect the growing feathers. As they open up, the sheath sheds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am going to try a bath later. I dont think he has ever had one before. I have a pan ready and we are going to see how he likes it .

Yes heh I will save the panic as a last resort heh. I am just so new to having a pigeon. I want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong and that he is getting everything he needs .

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Oh he'll love it! :) Might take him a little while to figure it out. It'll really help him get rid of that dust and dandruff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the bath didnt go as well as I would have hoped. Its obvious he had never done it before . I puy my hand in the water and splashed it and he was curious and even showed that he sorta might know what to do. So I drizzled water on him and he really liked that and he stood in the water but wouldnt Bathe in it . SO I will try again in a few days.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
He will...give him time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am I am going to be very patient on this . He seems to be a smart guy. I am sure eventually he will get it .

I clean his cage everyday . I scrub the poop off his shelf and change the paper out . Its so much easier cleang up after him than is was cleaning up after the rats when I have pet rats or even the chinchillas I have now . He might even be cleaner than my dogs. I havent even noticed any odor that people always say comes from pigeons.

I guess he would smell if I didnt clean his cage for weeks or something but so far no smell. The hamster smells worse than he does lol. My daughter is coming for a visit on monday . I havent seen her since she graduated in May . She is excited to see Mr. Pidge. She said " I cant get over the fact you have a Pigeon. Naked rats , 3 legged dog (yes I have a 3 legged chihuahua that is a rescue) Chinchillas ... rescue Pigeon whats next?"

Who knows lol.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pigeons can make great pets. If he has never had a bath before, it may take him a little time. Actually they love water. They just learn faster when they see other birds doing it. Make the water a little bit warm or just tepid.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Pigeon droppings generally don't have much of a smell -- in fact, if they do smell bad, that can be an indication that the bird is sick (unless they are sitting on a nest, in which case they hold their droppings in, and that gets pretty stinky.)

As others have said, your bird will get the hang of bathing -- it usually takes a few tries, but he/she will learn. The splashing is a good idea -- that often gives them an idea of what they are supposed to be doing with that bowl of water, lol.

The dust is totally normal -- it happens all year round, but the worst of it is when they are molting (growing in a lot of new feathers, and losing old ones.) Young birds tend to get particularly dusty during the first couple of molts, I've observed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK an update on Mr. Pidge and bath time. We tried again today. This time it went much better. He got into the water and splashed a little but seemed to like to soak more than splash. However, he really seemed to like it . Getting out to spray me with water as he flew in circles then get back in .

I have noticed a lot more of the little white flakey feather sheaths. He even lost a pretty wing feather today . Is he moulting ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.