Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I worm with pyrantel pamoate at this time of year? Does it effect in any way the new feather/molting. Also, is it safe for newly weaned squeakers?

I have a powder that is 1/mg active ingredient per about 33 mg powder (this powder is from a crushed tablet).

I assume, for an average adult pigeon, I want to give about 6 mg of the pyrantel pamoate so therefore I will need to give them about 200 mg of the powder. I have use of a very sensitive analytical balance to measure out the 200milligrams powder.

Should I just mix this with water and squirt it into their throat? Should I add any honey or ???? to the mixture/slurry?

Thank you in advance for any advice/tips on this matter.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I use pyrantel pamoate year round for my birds with no problems. The dose is 6mg for average adult size bird. It has a very wide safety margin.
But I use the liquid form so I can use it in their water. I don't know how 'water soluble' powder form would be and I'm not quite understanding the strength/mg of your tablets :confused:
If you have 25mg tablets, you can just quarter them (6.25mg) and pop them down their throat.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ms Freebird. These were originally packaged for worming dogs and it contains about 132 mg of active ingredient (pyrantel pamoate) in a 4 gram (=4000 mg) tablet. I pulvarized the tablet with a mortar and pestle. In any case, it looks like I need to give them 200mg of the tablet so that they receive the 6mg of the wormer. 200 mg is not too much. I think I can make a slurry of it and give it to the birds easy enough.....it probably does not have to actually "dissolve" as long as it is suspended. I will see if it dissolves, and try it on one bird first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts