Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm looking into getting doves. I have my heart set on getting a pair of female ring-neck doves. It will have to wait a bit until I move into my new place but I figure that just gives me time to prepare.

(#1) My biggest question is regarding eggs. I have been trying to find information but may just be searching with the wrong terms. What I need to know is what to do when my birds lay eggs. With two girls (in theory they are girls) I will have probably four eggs from my understanding. What do I do with them? How do I make sure the birds are taken care of properly?

(#2) Another big one is about sexing and getting a male/female pair. Since ring necks are so hard to sex what do I do if I end up with a male and female and they lay eggs? I really am not interested in breeding. I imagine it's a bit like what you do with two females but again, I want to cover all of my bases.

(#3) I've read that they don't travel well. Is that only long distance? I want to make sure I can take them to the vet as needed and for checkups.

Also, what kinds of enrichment/toys are, in general, a good idea? Other general tips are also welcome. I have found a vet and possible insurance for them already so it's more just figuring out general things to make sure they have the best quality of life I can offer. Maybe even a recommended place to buy. I found a website but again, I welcome any advice and tips. Note: I live in Portland, OR.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to cover all of my bases.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
So I'm looking into getting doves. I have my heart set on getting a pair of female ring-neck doves. It will have to wait a bit until I move into my new place but I figure that just gives me time to prepare.

(#1) My biggest question is regarding eggs. I have been trying to find information but may just be searching with the wrong terms. What I need to know is what to do when my birds lay eggs. With two girls (in theory they are girls) I will have probably four eggs from my understanding. What do I do with them? How do I make sure the birds are taken care of properly?

You don't do anything with the eggs. Let them sit on them until they are tired of it. Eventually they will lay more.Just make sure they get a good calcium/D3 supplement, like CalciBoost or similar, so they do not deplete themselves of calcium.

(#2) Another big one is about sexing and getting a male/female pair. Since ring necks are so hard to sex what do I do if I end up with a male and female and they lay eggs? I really am not interested in breeding. I imagine it's a bit like what you do with two females but again, I want to cover all of my bases.

With a male/female pair, you would switch out the eggs with fake eggs that you would buy online ahead of time.

(#3) I've read that they don't travel well. Is that only long distance? I want to make sure I can take them to the vet as needed and for checkups.

Taking them to the vet is different than taking them on trips.

Also, what kinds of enrichment/toys are, in general, a good idea? Other general tips are also welcome. I have found a vet and possible insurance for them already so it's more just figuring out general things to make sure they have the best quality of life I can offer. Maybe even a recommended place to buy. I found a website but again, I welcome any advice and tips. Note: I live in Portland, OR.
Doves don't normally want or need toys. And with a pair, they have each other. They don't play with toys. Set up a place for them to build a nest.
Healthy feed, fresh water, good hi-cal grit, and the calcium/D3 supplement that I have mentioned, a good bird vitamin. You can slowly pick up a few meds that you may need.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to cover all of my bases.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts