Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
quick answer "NO". The birds like it but it won't harm tham to go without it - I always reduce the amount of whole corn my birds get during breeding anyway so they get more smaller grains which are better for the young birds. You could always add a bit of popcorn to your mix if you wanted to. I was surprised to learn that a fancier I know who farms in Manitoba does not feed any corn - infact all his birds get is wheat and canola and his birds do just fine.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The only time i even consider corn any more, since i am not racing is in winter. And i have not even used it in the last two years... Safflower, in my humble opinion in a mix gets them through winter fine, and is easier for them to handle. Dave

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Corn for winter yes. I noticed that my birds don't usually like corn during late spring to summer months. They just leave it behind. So to answer your question, then I would say it is ok for now.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
the only feed i could buy today ,was kaytee pigeon feed without corn?is it a necessity to have corn in their diet.
Unless they have another source of vitamin A, I would still give them a little in the summer and more in the winter. Green peas contain vitamin A as does carrots, and curly kale. Vitamin A is exremely important for pigeons as it is important for their production of vitamin C. Pigeons produce their own vitamin C, but if there is a deficiency of A they will produce less. You can also give them a drop of cod liver oil, in the seed once a month, for a little extra vitamin A and D. It is important for breeders also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.