Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a cock feed the young on his own? the birds are 25 days old. Doesn't the hen usually stop feeding them and the cock pretty much takes over? So is there a problem, can the cock feed them on his own?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I don't think it is a problem per say just better if the hen and cock feed the hatchlings, they have to eat for themselves as well for two others, I think a cock could do it without too much of a problem if he only has one, but two in the nest the first few weeks get fed more as they are new hatchlings, when they are older they only get fed maybe twice or three times in a day and they are also pecking and eating some on their own as well, so he does not need the hen, as she is thinking of laying or laying on more eggs.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Can a cock feed the young on his own? the birds are 25 days old. Doesn't the hen usually stop feeding them and the cock pretty much takes over? So is there a problem, can the cock feed them on his own?
Well, nosy me wants to know why you're asking........LOL
However, yes, the cock can finish these guys easily...they should be eating on thier own anyway and ready to be moved in 3 or 4 days........

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I second Renee. At 3 weeks old they should be eating on their own. Their dad will still feed them though because they will keep on begging. Mom doesn't want to play that job now because she wants to take care of another eggs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.