Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First, I want to that you for this website! I am attempting to save a baby dove that my cat grabbed out of the air 3 days ago. I have been attempting to get a hold of a bird rehabber and the bird santuary to no avail. That is another story I do not have time to share with you right now because I have to get back to this poor bird.

I thought this dove was doing fine. He/she is missing a bunch of feathers, thanks to my cat. I attempted to set him free yesterday but he can only fly about 100 meters then drops. Do the parents of a young Dove hang around when the baby has been 'abducted'?

Here is my quick assessment of the doves physical state, based on the information provided on this site:

'A moderately dehydrated bird will be less than fully alert, have dry, flaky skin, dull eyes, non-formed droppings and have a sticky membrane in the mouth'.

So my first aid for this dove at this time is to get the poor thing hydrated. Now, for you experienced birders that may seem like a no brainer but to me, I am at a loss. I am going to first ensure the dove is warm enough to even reach the stage of drinking. I can not even find my heating pad. I am angry at myself for not knowing where it is. I am going to warm some rice, place it in a baggie, then wrap a cloth around it, take the bird and place him on in and hold him for at least 20minutes to see if I can ensure he is warm enough. I have a dropper so I am going to drop a drop at a time of sugar and salt into his beak and see if he will take it. THEN WHAT?!?!?!?!?! My husband says just let the thing go and let naure take over but nature got him into this mess. I will not evn talk about how much I hate my cat right now.

BRB, after I get this poor guy onto some heat.......

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, by the way. When I return I will attempt to assess his age. His droppings are now 'milky' and yellow and decreasing in the amount on the floor of his rehab home. He does not appear to be eating the dove seed I purchased for him so I am thinking he may be too young to eat on his own. How/what will I feed him after I can get him to eat?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
justanovice said:
Hello everyone,
Here is my quick assessment of the doves physical state, based on the information provided on this site:

'A moderately dehydrated bird will be less than fully alert, have dry, flaky skin, dull eyes, non-formed droppings and have a sticky membrane in the mouth'.

So my first aid for this dove at this time is to get the poor thing hydrated. Now, for you experienced birders that may seem like a no brainer but to me, I am at a loss. I am going to first ensure the dove is warm enough to even reach the stage of drinking. I can not even find my heating pad. I am angry at myself for not knowing where it is. I am going to warm some rice, place it in a baggie, then wrap a cloth around it, take the bird and place him on in and hold him for at least 20minutes to see if I can ensure he is warm enough. I have a dropper so I am going to drop a drop at a time of sugar and salt into his beak and see if he will take it. THEN WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

My husband says just let the thing go and let naure take over but nature got him into this mess. I will not evn talk about how much I hate my cat right now.
BRB, after I get this poor guy onto some heat.......

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, by the way. When I return I will attempt to assess his age. His droppings are now 'milky' and yellow and decreasing in the amount on the floor of his rehab home. He does not appear to be eating the dove seed I purchased for him so I am thinking he may be too young to eat on his own. How/what will I feed him after I can get him to eat?
Hello & Welcome,
You have certainly followed the basic steps correctly. Thank you. :)
Before you attempt to feed him any seed, baby bird food, etc. please make sure he is hydrated. He MUST be hydrated.

Cat attacks can be fatal to a pigeon or dove, in a very short time, if not treated with an antibiotic. In what area do you live? Do you know if there are any avian vets nearby?

Until you are able to get professinal medical assistance, I would suggest placing the baby in a towel lined small animal carrier, box, etc., & putting him in a warm, dark, quite area. Observe him often & continue dropping a few drops at a time (every few minutes) of the rehydrating solution just inside his beak.

Personally speaking, with regard to your cat, please don't blame him. He was only following his instincts. :rolleyes:

Others will be along shortly to assist you further.

Please do keep us posted.

Cindy ;)

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Hi justanovice,

As Cindy stated a cat bite is lethal to a bird as the saliva contained in a cat is fatal to birds. With proper antibiotics and quiet care conditions should improve for the little one. There are many local vets that will treat birds.Here is a link that may direct you to one in your local area. But even if one is not listed, check your local vets anyway. My pigeon vet does a great job but is not listed.

http://www.aav.org/vet-lookup/

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Hi justanovice,

Thank you for wishing to help this little Dove...!

Go to any Drug Store and you can get a heating pad for like four or five bucks...

Maybe take a damp warm cloth and wipe the Bird down well, following of course the direction of it's feathers.

If you can post an image, this will help us determine it's age, which is a factor for several reasons...

Doves ( in some localles more than others) can acquire an illness from protozoa in soil, when they drink from puddles, called Trichomoniasis.

This can sometimes weaken them to where a Cat is more likely to catch them.

Yellow watery poops are associated with this, but can also occur from other things.

If this is a young Bird it may never have eaten on it's own yet, or had not yet had time to become profecient.

Write to me from your regular e-mail,

[email protected]

...and I can send you sme feeding method info too long for this thread.

Medication for possible Trichomoniasis may be a good idea...

If the Bird suffered any small punctures from the Cat's teeth or claws, it might be wise to put them pon an antibiotic also.

Have you a kindly Vet to whom you may appeal for some of this?

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you-Able to take Dove to Sanctuary

I wanted to drop by to thank everyone for the help I received, both directly and indirectly (from reading previous posts).

I had been attempting to contact a bird sanctuary to see if they could take my little Dove. They finally called me back after I had been stocking them since Sunday. At first the lady stated she could only take the bird if he/she is eating on his/her own, which the Dove was not. I explained that when I started calling her on Sunday the Dove WAS eating and drinking so I really feel the Santuary should take the Dove from me to give it at least a fighting chance. She agreed to rehabilitate my little Dove and now he/she is resting in hospital.

Again, thank you so much for assisting me! I know my little feathered friend would not have survived this long without you.

Smiles from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for helping this bird and giving us the update. I'm glad the bird has been accepted at the bird sanctuary, thank you for making that possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts