Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Hey, thanks for looking out for this pigeon. Does it have a band around one or both of its ankles? It looks like someone's pet or homing pigeon with its coloring and beak. It likely has a band on it with numbers, and we can trace its owner here. Sometimes the owner will not want it back and if that is the case, we can find it a home. Pigeons are generally very healthy and racers/homers/pets are almost always vaccinated, and don't have any known disease communicable to humans that I've ever heard of, so try not to worry about getting anything from him. I've handled hundreds of pigeons over the years, many of them sick ferals off the street, and never gotten sick or had any other "pigeon people" I know get sick from a pigeon. He looks pretty healthy and fat, that's for sure. You could maybe just wear gloves and then wash your hands if you do handle him, same as with any animal you don't know. They don't generally peck or anything, sometimes they'll slap with a wing but it doesn't break your arm or anything lol.

If he's just hanging around, please give him a bit of bread or seed and maybe a bowl of water and see if you can see a band on him. He's likely used to being cared for (fed and watered and such) and got lost on a race. Sometimes after they rest for a day or two, they will take off on their own and go back home. He may be tame enough to just pick up to check his band, if he does have one, or you can use a simple laundry basket or box trap (or long-handled fishing net works great)to catch him temporarily if you need. If you do see a band and are able to catch him, please do NOT take him to the animal shelter or wildlife center. That usually ends in euthanasia, one way or another, unfortunately. You could also tell us your general area and we may have a member nearby who can just stop by and get him. Thanks again for helping him and good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.