Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Brad, I very much enjoyed your update and photos--thanks so much for sharing. Your pigeons are beautiful.

We have a homer hen, Olivia, that has odd reproductive issues. She has only laid two eggs her entire life and both were very small and misshapen. Like your Ricky, she's fairly aggressive with the other birds, though the boys like her. We raised her and there was nothing out of the ordinary about her parents or babyhood, so we assume she has a genetic defect. She laid the two eggs when she was about a year old (months apart) and has never laid another one.

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks everyone, glad you all like the recent pics. The snow was a nice surprise and one of our first major snows of the year. We ended up getting about a foot that day. The first few snows are always nice and beautiful, but then us "northerners" quickly grow tired of drivin' in it and shovelin' it. :p

I always wanted a pair of runts... but when ever I ask for a pair of show pigeons it is always, "WE RACE IN THIS FAMILY... NO GO GET ME THAT CRATE!"
LOL, maybe one day you'll get a pair of runts, Matt!

Maybe she stopped laying because she has no mate? I have a single male Runt left. It's weird though...because he HAD a Carneau mate...but she died a few months back. Now he's in a flight cage type thing with two single W.O.E. Tumbler hens, and surprisingly he hasn't tried to warm up to them. I don't think my Runt is as big as it's supposed to be though...not much bigger than my Kings were...:confused:
Even still, I need to find him a mate as well! Runts are awesome :)
Hi Mary...Ricky has always been a single bird, the only "mate" she had before was her sister and they fought like the dickens once they matured so I don't think that is it.

Sorry that you lost your Carneau. Your male runt is not really an ideal sized mate for your hen W.O.E., especially since the male is a runt and the female is the smaller bird. Mating would be a challenge to say the least! My runts are on the small side as well, but they each weigh over 950 grams. Some runts are smaller than others and it depends on the gene pool from which they came and whether or not they have been cross bred a few times.

Hi Brad,

Great to hear that your three are doing well. Your photos were brilliant, beautiful birds and I am so jealous of your snowy outdoor scene...nice and festive!! We rarely get much snow here in Scotland now. Last year I think we had a couple of snowfalls that didn't lie for long. Hoping for some snow this season!

Lindi :)
Thanks Lindi...I'm glad you appreciated the snowy picture so much! It's nice to have the snow around Christmas time, but then it can go away once it's over again, lol. Seriously, I don't mind it all that much though and I can handle the cold pretty well. Hope you get a touch of white for Christmas, even though it's unlikely.

Brad, I very much enjoyed your update and photos--thanks so much for sharing. Your pigeons are beautiful.

We have a homer hen, Olivia, that has odd reproductive issues. She has only laid two eggs her entire life and both were very small and misshapen. Like your Ricky, she's fairly aggressive with the other birds, though the boys like her. We raised her and there was nothing out of the ordinary about her parents or babyhood, so we assume she has a genetic defect. She laid the two eggs when she was about a year old (months apart) and has never laid another one.
Thanks Cathy...It's all very strange indeed with Ricky. She did lay several sets of eggs during the summer, probably 5 altogether and before she stopped completely. I only have the 3 birds so it's hard for me to judge whether or not Ricky is "aggressive towards other birds", she's only shown "fight" towards her sister and Henny (when she was around). Eggbert just can't stand her though and would/does show strong aggression towards her through the wall divider.

I do however, just take it for what it is though. Just would be nice to understand why Ricky is so different from her sister and why Eggbert hates her so much.

I took a couple of videos that day and said I would post them so here they are. Nothing overly exciting about them, just my two hand raised brats giving me what for, same as always, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CSdJQ86S-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAgPYT9q-Ro

Seasons' Greetings and Merry Christmas to all!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Brad,

I just now got to see the pictures you posted and the videos. They are beautiful birds. I know how large runts are! You need two hands to pick up any one of those guys. They look so well cared for and contented. Lucy sure doesn't want you near those eggs, and tells you about it! LOL. Thanks for the pictures. I'm really glad the respiratory problems and eggs problems resolved for the good.

Margaret

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
AND A

MERRY HO HO HO TO YOU AND THOSE LOVELY RUNTS, BRAD!!

OK, Eggbert's turn to star in his own video!

Ricky and Lucy should know that they are attacking the "hand that feeds!" THEN, again, YOU ARE intruding in their territory! Stalemate??? ;) :rolleyes:

Hugs and Scritches

Shi
& Squeaks (keeping me "hopping" with poop exercises 'cause he's baaaack in mate mode!) :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Brad,

I just now got to see the pictures you posted and the videos. They are beautiful birds. I know how large runts are! You need two hands to pick up any one of those guys. They look so well cared for and contented. Lucy sure doesn't want you near those eggs, and tells you about it! LOL. Thanks for the pictures. I'm really glad the respiratory problems and eggs problems resolved for the good.

Margaret
Thank you Margaret, and you're so right about needing "two hands" to pick runts up, lol. I approach my birds from the front with my two hands ready to "scoop" them up and this is the best hold I've found and what is most "comfortable" for them.

I do try very hard to provide a good home for my birds, and that is just how I am. I hope more than anything to give them the best "home" I can offer & one that will make them happy & comfortable. So, thanks for noticing "that" as well.:)

Shi...thanks for your response too and I've already been chatting with you over these issues and topics. Thanks again and can you tell me what your secret is to keeping Squeaks so safe and sound and problem-free for such a long time???

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Shi...thanks for your response too and I've already been chatting with you over these issues and topics. Thanks again and can you tell me what your secret is to keeping Squeaks so safe and sound and problem-free for such a long time???

ATTITUDE, Brad, pure unadulterated ATTITUDE..on Squeaks' end! Wouldn't surprise me if Squeaks would dare to take on a Runt!

I STILL always watch tho, especially Twiggy. She deliberately likes to taunt Squeaks into chasing her. No problem there, but when SHE wants to be petted and Squeaks wants attention...AT the same time...I have to watch. I don't want her to take a swipe at him.

As mentioned before, I've only seen one Runt up close and personal and I just love 'em!

Hugs and Scritches

Shi & Squeaks

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

ATTITUDE, Brad, pure unadulterated ATTITUDE..on Squeaks' end! Wouldn't surprise me if Squeaks would dare to take on a Runt!

I STILL always watch tho, especially Twiggy. She deliberately likes to taunt Squeaks into chasing her. No problem there, but when SHE wants to be petted and Squeaks wants attention...AT the same time...I have to watch. I don't want her to take a swipe at him.

As mentioned before, I've only seen one Runt up close and personal and I just love 'em!

Hugs and Scritches

Shi & Squeaks

I was wondering more about what your "secret" is to KEEPING & preventing any health issues with Squeaks. Squeaks is DEFINITELY a character all to himself and there is no question that he rules the roost at your apt. with the cats, lol.

I suppose it's just your good fortune and "our" bad luck that things turn out the way they do. Here you are, a "casual" pigeon pet owner, 1 male pet pigeon and he NEVER seems to run into any health issues or problems. Then there are those/us/we who have 1, 2, 3 or 100 birds that can give us quite a bit of grief at times. Just seems unfair and odd, that's all, lol. However, I'm thrilled that Squeaks has been such an "easy-to-provide for" pet....for you! :)

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I was wondering more about what your "secret" is to KEEPING & preventing any health issues with Squeaks. Squeaks is DEFINITELY a character all to himself and there is no question that he rules the roost at your apt. with the cats, lol.

I suppose it's just your good fortune and "our" bad luck that things turn out the way they do. Here you are, a "casual" pigeon pet owner, 1 male pet pigeon and he NEVER seems to run into any health issues or problems. Then there are those/us/we who have 1, 2, 3 or 100 birds that can give us quite a bit of grief at times. Just seems unfair and odd, that's all, lol. However, I'm thrilled that Squeaks has been such an "easy-to-provide for" pet....for you! :)
Well, I wouldn't say that Squeaks has NEVER had any problems...a badly broken wing that had to be half amputated and then ROUND WORMS! That's enough for a poor pij to suffer at such a young age. (He was only 30 days old when I found him!)

Now, HOPEFULLY, he seems to be doing well. He eats PetCo's Paloma mix, along with occasional treats of Safflowers and Hemp seeds. I also give him a little Kaytee's Songbird mix with Ecotrition Grains & Greens variety blend (actually for Parakeets). He also likes to help himself to a few Eukanuba Indoor Cat pellets. The pellets don't seem to harm him and it's funny to watch him select just the "right" pellet and sling others around like he does his seeds! He's even been known to chase a cat away while he makes his selection FIRST! *SIGH* Oh yes, and Oyster grit...

Also, I understand that Runts are more "delicate" or can be as well as other breeds. Squeaks must have come from hardy racing homing pigeon stock. However, he's not a "love" bird like others I've read about on the site. He can be quite ornery!

Because he lives such a sheltered life, I hope he will be around for MANY years to come! Always fun to discover something new living with fur and feathers! :D

BTW, don't know if this has anything to do with the "price of rice," but we don't have extremes in climate here and I do my best to see he doesn't get drafts. And, finally, he doesn't lay eggs, which can be a problem at times...

Shi

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Sorry that you lost your Carneau. Your male runt is not really an ideal sized mate for your hen W.O.E., especially since the male is a runt and the female is the smaller bird. Mating would be a challenge to say the least! My runts are on the small side as well, but they each weigh over 950 grams. Some runts are smaller than others and it depends on the gene pool from which they came and whether or not they have been cross bred a few times.
Well one thing is for sure, those W.O.E. hens out there will mate with anything! I feel sorry for them, they need mates of their own kind :(
Even if the mating was difficult, she'd probably be inspired to lay anyways, and they could be foster parents. She's already been 'mated' to the other WOE hen..before the last WOE male died...and I'm surprised they haven't made a nest and had 4 eggs again.

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Shi,...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming you or attacking you because of Squeaks' excellent health record. You're obviously doing all the right things to keep him in optimum health and fitness. I wasn't referring to his amputated wing, or his past worm infection though. Those things were in the far distant past and things that either couldn't be fixed, or could very easily be treated.

I guess I just wish that "WE" were all so fortunate and that all our birds had such a great track record as Squeaks.:)

I only have 3 pigeons now, used to have 4, but my difficulties and hardships along the way haven't always been pleasant and certainly not easy. Similarly, others have had awful, tragic problems happen to a bird or several "members" of their flock for no apparent reason that has left them heartbroken and dismayed.

I just wish I/us/we had the golden horseshoes wrapped around our pigeons' necks like you seem to have, that's all! :D

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Oh, I knew you weren't attacking or blaming, Brad...:D

When I read about all the rescues who REALLY have problems with the possibility of lifelong health issues, my heart just breaks!

I wish I could have more pigeons, but I don't dare mess with the "status quo" at this point.

Instead, I go and visit Cindy's Aviary and hold Rae Charles and "talk" to all the others too. Bonzo Beautiful is such a BIG bird and so different as a Fantail to her much smaller Cappuchines, it's quite an experience to watch them interact! Malio, tho, is like David with Goliath...he will challenge him in a heartbeat!

Of course Blueberry and Little Dove are something else too!

Cindy's birds are a picture of health...she also watches them closely for any problems.

Brad, I also have to add that I think your Runts are getting EXCELLENT care. I know how you feel about them and they are VERY FORTUNATE to be with you! They look HEALTHY, HAPPY and are just BEAUTIFUL!!

Hugs

Shi :D

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
What beautiful birds, Brad. The videos are really cute. It's good to hear you all are doing well. :)

I must admit I was thinking the other day while scraping piles of poop from multiple pigeons, "Sometimes I wish I was Shi. . .with just Squeaks' poops to clean up!":p ;) :D

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Hi Brad! Glad your big birds are doing so well. Love the pic of Lucy and Eggbert. He has such a handsome presence! Ricky matured into a striking bird with a sweet expression.

Wow! When Lucy comes charging out, she's really scarey!!! :O

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
What beautiful birds, Brad. The videos are really cute. It's good to hear you all are doing well. :)

I must admit I was thinking the other day while scraping piles of poop from multiple pigeons, "Sometimes I wish I was Shi. . .with just Squeaks' poops to clean up!":p ;) :D
ROFL MJ!! When Squeaks is in MATE mode, I have an inkling for what y'all are going through with multiple pijies!!

Daddy mode is much "less" but bigger...*sigh*

But, boy, in mate mode, he poops ALL DAY LONG! Seems that's all I do is pick up poops...when he's "naked" that is...

Sending HUGS and SCRITCHES to - ah - ease the poop scoopin' !

Shi
& Squeaks (who says: "fact of life: what goes IN must also PASS!")

·
Banned
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Thanks Victor, Mary Jane, Terri and Lin again,

Just wanted to quickly make another post to update things at my house. Nothing earth shattering going on over here but it wasn't long after I mentioned that Ricky has been "barren", that she recently laid a set of eggs.

About 4 days ago, she started to act "maternal" and I could sense it in her. I'm never sure however what is going on in those heads but a couple of days after, she laid her first egg and since about 6 months ago, I was shocked.

She laid her second egg on schedule and is currently sitting dutifully on them as nature guides her to do. I offered her lots of nesting material (something which I didn't do in the past), but she has recently found interest in. She took the straw back to her spot and arranged them pretty darn good for a single, hand raised mom!

Lucy and Eggbert are also on eggs themselves, albeit nearing the end of this cycle, so things are pretty calm all around in the pigeon room, lol

Eggbert has picked up a new behaviour which is....hunkering down and laying for hours on end right besides Lucy on her eggs. This seems to confuse her and she will start nervously re-collecting nesting material to bring to her nest. She gets all antsy that Eggbert is sitting so close by when it's not his time to sit. Otherwise, things are fine on their side of the room still.

I've also recently begun trying to tame Eggbert more. I don't often interact with him physically and because he is very timid and frightened of me. However, I have been pushing his limits and petting him more and more and I do believe that he's getting more used to me. He's such a character and if I could only explain more in detail of how he responds to my touch, you'd all laugh your heads off!

No pictures today, but I couldn't be more relaxed with the way things are going or NOT going with my 3-some. ;)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts