Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

yesterday as i was walking my dog, we came across a (presumably) baby pigeon near my house. it was on its own and as far as i could see there were no parents around. after taking my dog home, i came back for it and scooped it up in a shoebox. when arriving home i gave it some of my hens' pellets, a plum and some raspberries. However this morning when i checked on it, it hadn't appeared to have eaten anything. There was however watery feaces. I kept it in a shoebox inside overnight. Was this the right thing to do? I have since transferred it into a much larger box in the shed and given it seeds to eat and water to drink. Whenever I go near it it takes deep breaths in, puffing itself up, which makes a tiny cracking-like noise, is this normal? Also it seems incredibly frightened of me and even tries to bite my fingers when i get too close.
What can i do to help this poor little bird?
My location is North-East Fife, Scotland.

Quincy

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Thank you Quincy. T'wd be best to bring the little one inside. I suspect it doesn't know how to eat on it's own just yet and so you will need to hand feed for it to survive.
Here are some instuctions...

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat. You will need to feed 40-50 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know it is eating on their own.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Charris.
Here is a photo of him/her. Note that for some reason it is sitting in the bowl of seeds that i gave it. I dont think that it will let me feed it because it seems too scared of me. How could I gain its trust and make it feel comfortable with me?

Quincy

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Qunicy...it's just a little baby...maybe 2 1/2 weeks old. You will just have to feed it as I outlined because it hasn't a clue what food is. Really... it will die if you don't. Please don't worry about the trust part at this point because babies trust soon enough if you are feeding them.
The baby thinks of the bowl of seed as a nest.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Just to add...the watery feces is due to lack of food. Soon, what fat the baby has will start to break down to feed him...after that the muscle and finally the internal organs. It's been yesterday since he ate and little babies need a lot of food to grow because they grow so much every day.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Here's a list of resources in Scotland. I don't know what is close to you, but have a look.

Shanwell Wildlife Rescue Trust
Dundee
DD2 4XW

Telephone: 07849 184354

Cover Tayside and Fife. Will euthanase unreleasable birds.

The North East Wildlife and Animal Rescue Centre
Nether Auquhadue
Ellon
Aberdeenshire
AB41 8UW

0796 225 3867

Aim to refuse no animal, bird or reptile, whether it be domestic or wild, but with limited land it has become impossible to take every animal we are requested to help. Try to find alternative accommodation if they cannot help, with other local organisations. Have a non destruct policy, unless the animal is beyond recovery and having taken consideration of veterinary advice.

Directions: Are approx. half way between Ellon and Auchnagatt, on the A948 Ellon to New Deer road. From Ellon - continue past the turning for Drumwhindle up over the hill, past the turnings for Dudwick, then the turning for Stuartfield. Staying on the A948 you will see the Centre signs on the right hand side.

http://www.thenewarc.org/1501.html

http://www.swrt.ik.com/

Valley Forge Native Wildlife Refuge
Tornaveen
Banchory
Aberdeenshire

Can provide rehabilitation, long term care or safe life-long sanctuary to native species that can't be returned to the wild (in our case this would mean wood pigeons), but not emergency veterinary treatment.
Contact via e-mail [email protected]
www.valleyforge.org.uk

Hessilhead Wildlife Rescue Trust
Gateside
Beith
Strathclyde
Ayrshire
KA15 1HT

Telephone: 01505 502415
http://www.hessilhead.org.uk/

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I think that might possibly be a little Woodie. It's a bit blurred but looks like a white stripe down the wing.

As Charis said, will need to be force fed to survive. I have one a little older than that at present that is very wild. It too puffs up it's chest when I go to feed and gives me a hard wing slap, but when wrapped in a towel does settle as I pop the peas in it's throat. Don't be put off with the huffing, it's best for it to have a wild side for when it's ready for release. If it gets too comfortable with you it will be harder for it to manage in the wild once it's able.
Let us know how it's getting along.

Janet

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, she only requires me to put the pea in her mouth, then she does the rest. Chirping a lot.

Will keep you posted.

Quincy

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Quincy,

I would feed her three times a day, ensuring that her crop is emptied completely over night.

I agree with janet about her being a wood pigeon.

I hear that the SPCA in Fife are good to pigeons (but can you let us know your nearest town?):

SPCA Middlebank Wildlife Centre
Masterton Road
Dunfermline
Fife
KY11 8QN

Tel: 01383 412 520
Fax: 01383 411 398

Members of the public can bring casualties to the Centre during the following times:

April until September: 8.30 until 10pm 7 days a week.
October to March: 8.30 until 5pm 7 days a week.

Outwith these times, there is a member of staff on call who can be contacted on mobile phone number 07733 007 257.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The Shanwell Trust would be the closest then.

Cynthia

1 - 12 of 12 Posts