Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi all

When racing 2 teams, how would you select the next weeks race teams?

Bezz
With the use of an electronic clock, you can see the results of the training tosses you make during the week and can see who seems to be coming into form. You can also go by typical signs of health as well as behavioral signals. These would give some idea of how the bird might be motivated.

Dan

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the use of an electronic clock, you can see the results of the training tosses you make during the week and can see who seems to be coming into form. You can also go by typical signs of health as well as behavioral signals. These would give some idea of how the bird might be motivated.

Dan
Thanks

I am allowed 20 birds per team.
Would you send some of them back to the next race and how many ?

Bezz

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Hi all

When racing 2 teams, how would you select the next weeks race teams?

Bezz
Do you have to pick them a week in advance ? I'm not a great handler, but it seems to me, the best thing to do would be to spent some time in the loft in the days before shipping, and make some notes. The winner from last week, might still be in form and ready for another win, or he may show signs of needing a rest. If you are able to ship 20 birds, then you select the 20 in the best condition. I'm afraid many people just go in and start grabbing birds, or pick birds from some sort of arbitrary list they put together.

As learning said, the training tosses should give you some indication, as to should the birds in the loft provide some sign as to which ones are ready to race.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I do the same things to every pigeon and don't know what one I will send until shipping day. I go in and handle the birds that look great sitting on the perch. I check the wing and the body molt and feel the body. The bird should be lean and not fat. I like to fell the keel but not have it too pronounced. This will take time to learn if you are new. The wing has to be in great shape and not in the molt on any of the last 3 flights. The body can't be molting. If I have more than the amount of birds that I want to ship picked out in the end, then I will sort the rest out by the race distance if it is short I will send the sprint birds. I know alot of my breeders well and know that they produced long or sprint birds in the past so when I look at what the bird I am going to send is off from that helps me decide if the bird might be a sprint bird or not. Also the age is a factor for me if the race is a longer one I will send a little older one over a younger one if the birds are close to the same condition even if the older one is not quite as good.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the inputs!

I was told to send the first 20 back and replace the last 20 with new birds every week.

Bezz

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Well how many birds do you have? Are you only racing 40 then sending half of them every other week? I would rather send my best every week even if the same one goes back to back. We have a 30 bird limit here but there is 2 races somtimes so you can race 60. I have never sent more than 15-18 to a race. I just wouldn't send the birds unless they are ready to go. For me sending 20 every week no matter what and making it the same birds every other week is not somthing I would do.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well how many birds do you have? Are you only racing 40 then sending half of them every other week? I would rather send my best every week even if the same one goes back to back. We have a 30 bird limit here but there is 2 races somtimes so you can race 60. I have never sent more than 15-18 to a race. I just wouldn't send the birds unless they are ready to go. For me sending 20 every week no matter what and making it the same birds every other week is not somthing I would do.
I have 103 racers.
That is what i am trying to do.:confused:

Bezz

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the inputs!

I was told to send the first 20 back and replace the last 20 with new birds every week.

Bezz
In my neck of the woods, if you are racing two teams(if I understood you correctly) - they must be distinct and separate in the clock. This so that a bird belonging to Team 1 must race as part of Team 1 for the entire season.

That said, "send the first 20 and replace the last 20" is probably too vague of an exercise to guarantee that your best 40 goes to the race. It all depends on what the conditions and distance is for next week's race. For a sprint race, the best handling ones of the top 20 should definitely go back. For a tough race or longer race, you may be wise to send from the ones that were 5 - 15 minutes behind your early ones. And after a tough race, you may want to rest a top bird especially if it has gone 2-4 races back-to-back. And as always, if a bird is competing for champion bird, it is always a candidate for the next race! Likewise, if the conditions are going to be extremely rough, you may want to keep your better ones home. Also, if you have 100 birds to pick from, you want to make sure that they have all gotten wing time on at least one of the shorter races.

Just pointing out the obvious...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my neck of the woods, if you are racing two teams(if I understood you correctly) - they must be distinct and separate in the clock. This so that a bird belonging to Team 1 must race as part of Team 1 for the entire season.

That said, "send the first 20 and replace the last 20" is probably too vague of an exercise to guarantee that your best 40 goes to the race. It all depends on what the conditions and distance is for next week's race. For a sprint race, the best handling ones of the top 20 should definitely go back. For a tough race or longer race, you may be wise to send from the ones that were 5 - 15 minutes behind your early ones. And after a tough race, you may want to rest a top bird especially if it has gone 2-4 races back-to-back. And as always, if a bird is competing for champion bird, it is always a candidate for the next race! Likewise, if the conditions are going to be extremely rough, you may want to keep your better ones home. Also, if you have 100 birds to pick from, you want to make sure that they have all gotten wing time on at least one of the shorter races.

Just pointing out the obvious...
By us we are allowed to alter the birds between our two teams.:D
Thanks for the reply, this makes a lot of sence!;)

Bezz

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
In the "for what it's worth" category, I started the young bird season last year with only 10 pigeons. I split them into two teams of five and only flew half of them to each race. I did this to try to give them a break in between races because I couldn't afford to loose any. I flew the entire series with these 10 birds and managed several club and combine diplomas in the process.

Having said that, I did it for a specific reason (such a small team). This year I have over 50 birds. I still split them into two teams for training in case there is a smash training toss I would only risk half of the team, but when it comes to the races, I will be sending the most prepared 20 (that is our shipping limit). The advice you received was not necessarily bad in the right circumstance. You, however, have to decide what the best circumstance might be.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts