Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would like to know is pigeon racing all run the same in the U.S.? I live in Louisiana and for one Club you have to pay some thing like $250. up front to race YB's. and I think $250. for OB's. Is that common? And why?
Can some one tale my how a Pigeon Racing Club is ran? I hope to start one back up in Alexandria,La. I just got back in the AU. I haven't looked on the AU site for starting a club.
Well any way ya'll help me with this I know all ya'll can.
THANKS.............:confused:

·
Registered
459 Posts
they don't call it THE SPORT OF KINGS for nothin. 250$ is very commin!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
The money collected from each member will pay for the shipping cost, for the driver
to carry yours and everyones birds to the race point.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
When talking about club dues and shipping it is a cheap sport. The money you give to the club is not that much. Any sport you participate in will cost you money if you do it every weekend. Then you have to buy equipment, well our equipment is our birds, and just like any sport you can spend as much as you want.

Last weekend my father-in-law wanted to go golfing and see his dad who lives just outside Augusta Ga. (we are from NW ohio). He was paying so I went we golfed everyday and with the trip it was very expensive. It cost more than the whole year at the pigeon club.

·
Registered
393 Posts
First off, everything is relative. The way I look at,the pleasure I get out of flying the birds, far surpasse's the monetary outlay.
Sure, $250 is not chump change, but then again what hobby is "cheap"?...Hamsters?
The anticipation of seeing that bird spiral down to your loft on race day is, well priceless.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ybs $125, Obs $250.........lol Why not only $150 if ur not shipping past 300miles for ob's that's what I asked our federation. I guess they want less flyers l0l.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
First off, everything is relative. The way I look at,the pleasure I get out of flying the birds, far surpasse's the monetary outlay.
Sure, $250 is not chump change, but then again what hobby is "cheap"?...Hamsters?
The anticipation of seeing that bird spiral down to your loft on race day is, well priceless.
I think you are correct. At $250 that works out to .6849 cents per day. I would hardly think one would have to be rich to afford that. "Forget" to give the kids lunch money one day a week, skip a fast food joint once in awhile, smoke a few less cigs a day, a few less cans a beer a week, sooner or later, you will come up with things to cut, in order to enjoy this great past time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i guess we here are lucky to have this club. as far as i can remember, i only paid $75 for this year that includes AU and club membership, 50 leg bands. shipping for training and races are free. so if you want come down here in san diego and join us.

kalapati
San Diego

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
i guess we here are lucky to have this club. as far as i can remember, i only paid $75 for this year that includes AU and club membership, 50 leg bands. shipping for training and races are free. so if you want come down here in san diego and join us.

kalapati
San Diego
Something is missing from this picture, how do they transport the pigeons to both OB and YB races for only $25 ????? Someone else is paying the bills.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Something is missing from this picture, how do they transport the pigeons to both OB and YB races for only $25 ????? Someone else is paying the bills.
i think our club generates income thru our 2 one loft races: the sandiego classic and the holiday cup - http://www.sandiegoclassic-holidaycup.com/

i forgot to mention that we don't have YB races. we are instead busy preparing for the one loft races that is usually done in november of every year.

kalapati
San Diego

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just wanted to say,(Racing for Rich) thread I started was cuz I wanted to know what was common for running a Pigeon racing Club. With good blood,good breeding and racing you can value your loft. And have riches in it. $$$ is not all ways riches. Need help and info.
Thank you all.......Trying to start a club back up so I can RACE TOO

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
King James, it is also possible if the expense of racing is an issue, you can just have the birds for pets, and just loft fly them. That is a joy just to watch them flying.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
IRPC combine for 2010.....$200 for 8 races with a 30 bird shipping limit....And the same for YB`s......If we have more lofts shipping,the combine could decrease this amount for the next year....In 2009,we paid $180 per OB & YB series....But we only had about 28/30lofts flying...We do have 40 to 45 members..But if 10 to 15 lofts are not racing,it makes it more expensive for the 30 lofts that are....We need 32 lofts shipping to breal even...All the money collected pays for the truck driver,and the gas and other expenses needed to race......Alamo

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just wanted to say,(Racing for Rich) thread I started was cuz I wanted to know what was common for running a Pigeon racing Club. With good blood,good breeding and racing you can value your loft. And have riches in it. $$$ is not all ways riches. Need help and info.
Thank you all.......Trying to start a club back up so I can RACE TOO
James.
Going back to your main issue. The best place to start would be to contact the AU. Most clubs are sanctioned by either the AU or IF, I'm sure you could run a club without there sanction. I don't know why anybody would do that as the AU and IF give support and recognition to the sport.
Before I even contemplated starting a club, I would make sure I had the numbers ( you would win every diploma if you raced against yourself).The most expensive outlay would be your transporter, along with that comes insurance...unless you can partner up with another club.Then you need a computer, liberation point's...
The list goes on and on, a very daughting endeavor.But all clubs started at one point (God bless our clubs founders). Another avenue you may want to consider is contacting another club and get the low down on how they operate, whats there annual expenditure etc.
I wish you all the luck in the world, and remember to reach out. Pigeon flyers are very genorous when it comes to expanding our great sport.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hey I agree with Brummie, go to the au website, they have a link on running a club, look also under "info and events" and then "club profiles", you can then click on clubs and see examples. Look also at the 2010 secretary packet (dues order, band order, diploma order) Just to get an idea of what is involved. It would be a crazy amount of work starting from scratch. Not to mention the money to start a club the posts here so far listed just dues and ongoing expenses to a club already set up. To start from scratch, club timing unit, computer, software, printer, insurance, training crates and trailer, even if you end up shipping out of a garage you will have to shell out a lot of money. Even if you find used stuff you can save some money but I am thinking 2,000 would be on the cheap side to get this started. Best of luck...

·
Registered
46 Posts
our club has some really good foreward thinkn members and d run a raffle for a harley every year.each member sells a min of 4 tix a piece then your shipping is free for both series.other members sell alot more then 4.this is my 2nd year flying birds and this club in my opinion do there best 2 promote the sport and help new flyers in any n every way the can.the also provide u with an eletronic benzing clock 2use.prety good people.i would like 2 thank both past n present members of d northwest indiana racing pigeon club for there dedicated promotion of pigeon racing.and here is another thing d did for me"im out of boundarys n the accepted me with open arms".u couldnt fly with better

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The season dues (not to be confused with joining the AU dues and such) are for payment to ship the birds. Divide the estimated costs by the number of flyers who are going to race that season, and you have the individual costs.

Some people only fly young birds. Some only fly old birds and some both.

There are additional ways money is generated for operating expenses. Because of limitations on the number of birds that can be shipped to any individual race, if you want to ship more birds, you can ship them as "trainers" and they are not in the race. Our Combine charges .25 (twenty-five cents) for each bird you want to send in training (for young birds only and not used for old birds). A quarter to ship a bird 1 - 3 hundred miles is very cheap. Drive that distance and see how much it costs you.

Ther are also auctions of birds that generate money. Our biggest young bird race of the year (the final 300) has a "mandatory" requirement that the top ten winning birds have to be auctioned off. However, prior to the race an owner can pay forty bucks to NOT have his bird auctioned off and retain ownership of said bird. If you have a really good bird, you probably wan to do that. The money goes to the Combines general fund. There are a lot of expenses associated with running a club. Equipment and repairs to said equipment,n trophies and diplomas, etc, along with the shipping expenses.

$250.00 to enter maybe a total of 800 to 1000 birds in various races is cheap.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Erik Limbourg just sold out for 1.25 million Euro. This kind of puts things in perspective. Many of us are flying comparable bloodlines with little or no fan fare. Marc De Cock spent 125,000 for one bird. Makes our $200 race fee seem like Monopoly money.

Randy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts