Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know do you have to have Janssen, Maris, Van Reet, Busschaert and I know there are many more, do you have to have these breeds to have good racers? I really don't understand these breeds, I think they are just pedegrees that a certain person breed? I would like to get some more insight on this subject.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Iam not a racer, but to bump this thread I would say it is in the race results where you want to look and out of what pairings are their young doing well and buy from these good pairings, or if someone wants to sell a good pair because they want to introduce other "genes" in their breeding that is another way. I would purchase birds from someone who does well on a regualar basis and not look at the names as they really are not the same as they were years and years ago.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I think the first clarification that might shed some light on this is that you are not really refering to different breeds but different families. You are correct in saying that these represent highly succesful individuals that developed their families over time and had great success with them. Once they started enjoying their success people started wanting their birds.

I doubt that there are any pigeons in the world left that didn't have some of the Jannsen brothers family tree in their pedigrees somewhere. The families that you mentioned, as well as many others, have had their birds spread throughout the world in order to enhance other fanciers colonies. All you have to do is be successful with your family and the next thing you know people will be beating a path to your door wanting to get their hands on a few of yours!

Dan

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Learning

Thanks Dan, I finally understan now.....:) What are the top three favorite familys in racing homers? I would have to say Jannsen would be #1.
I am getting four ybs next week from a gentlemen in Michigan who races and the birds I am getting come from birds that are capable of flying 500 miles. I feel lucky to get such good birds. I will post pics of them as soon as I get them and I will know more about them to share. Thanks again Dan.......:D

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
There is no such thing as true top whatever in racing strains, because every one of these names will do differently in each loft. Some people may have the best luck with Janssens and claim they are #1, and others may prefer Bekaerts. And then they may even prefer a certain family of birds based off one big winner, instead of a strain from a good fancier. Like the Surebet family or the Dreamboy family or whatever other family or bloodline. The problem with saying one strain is better than another, too, is that within a strain there are hundreds of birds. The closest to a 'pure' strain you can get is directly from the origins itself. Otherwise, RKM Loft Janssens will be different from 9 Points Loft Janssens, and both of ours will probably be different from the Janssens' Janssens :p Haha.

So what I'm getting at is, is that you'll have a much easier time if you look at the results from the loft the birds are coming from. People tend to forget that 'this' or 'that' strain could ever produce anything but quality, but that's because you usually never hear of the bad birds, just the good birds. You never know. That person may have one one-hit-wonder out of 200 bad birds from that family that they have raised.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.