Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it matter or it is important to separate males and females racing pigeons before breeding? OR could you just throw them all in one coop to let them breed by themselves by picking?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lock Your Hens into There Nest Box And a Cock Bird Will Pick Them Out And Desplay Beside The Nest Box After 10 minz let the hen out and they will or may pair up , hope all goes well for you

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
actually it is the other way around, you CAN put the cock birds in the breeding area so they pick and fuss over who's going to get the best nest box and there is where you would keep your cock birds, when they get settled on their little piece of realestate you don't want to have to start over with all that fuss every year, then you can introduce the hens and they should mate up at some point, only pairs in the breeding area work better, then if you want you can remove the hens to another section for a rest period and then repeat when you want to breed again. I do not race so I let my pairs stay together...but thats just me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
im new to this so ive just found out ways of doing things by myself lol everythink else seems orkwerd

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I try to keep my breeders separated until breeding season, so that the hens do not waste their eggs and both cocks and hens will be fully rested and in good health for breeding. Then I pair them up myself, using individual cages. If I had a breeding loft, I would prefer to pair them up in the nest boxes, letting them out once they've mated and claimed that box as theirs. But since all I have at the moment are invididual breeding cages, I let them have their clutches in those. At least then, I know for a fact those birds are the bio parents of the babies, and no squabs or eggs get hurt over fighting for nest boxes.

You can do it either way. Pair them yourself, or let them pick their own mates. Whether you pair them in cages, the boxes, let them breed in the cages, or the loft, it doesn't matter. Do what you think is best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts