Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a tagged racing pigeon yesterday walking around my yard. I managed to find the club its owner belongs to and spoke to person who answered. He said the bands were sold by someone else so he'd reach out and try to find out who's bird it is. My question is, do racing bird owners typically claim their birds? Is it worth a 2 hour drive to claim a hurt bird? I'm keeping it in a large cage with bird seed and water and it seems happy, but I can tell one of its wings is injured slightly since it hands down a bit.

I'm hoping the owner calls and comes to claim the bird in the next day or two. If the owner is non responsive, do other racing bird owners adopt hurt birds, or is there somewhere this poor bird can live a decent life amongst other pigeons? Its such a beautiful bird, absolutely a pure bred and I'm guessing it was doing well in its race until something unfortunate happened.

I'm assuming a race bird owner is well attached to his birds and would drive to pick up a bird, even if its hurt. But is that not how race bird owners are? Do they expect bird loss and abandon their birds in situations like this? I don't have the ability to keep a hurt bird but I'm trying to be a good person and give a helping hand to an animal that is hurt.

Can anyone share feedback on what's common in these cases and if race bird owners will typically come drive to claim an injured bird? I'm going to call the club again and see if I can get in touch with the owner, and then hope he comes to pick it up.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
All racing people i am sure are individuals. Some probably will reclaim their birds. Some kill them because they are “losers.” If the ownerdoes not want the bird, there are probably pigeon enthusiasts or pet owners who will welcome your bird. How is he injured? Is he eating and drinking? Thank you for helping him! If the owner does not want him, where are you located? There areorganizations such as Palomacywho take in and rehome pigeons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All racing people i am sure are individuals. Some probably will reclaim their birds. Some kill them because they are “losers.” If the ownerdoes not want the bird, there are probably pigeon enthusiasts or pet owners who will welcome your bird. How is he injured? Is he eating and drinking? Thank you for helping him! If the owner does not want him, where are you located? There areorganizations such as Palomacywho take in and rehome pigeons.
Thanks for the reply. I managed to narrow things down and found the club to also find out the bird owner is supposedly sick and old and won't be able to come claim the bird. I searched around and found some really amazing people in my state who are bird racers in various clubs and some kind hearted people who help birds that were all willing to help.

The bird looked a ton better today than it did yesterday when I found it. One wing was hanging down yesterday where today it was only just slightly hanging down due to some type of injury, almost unnoticeable if I didn't already know it was hurt. Eating voraciously and drinking, and very active. Thankfully I was able to drop it off to someone who is caring and is going to do the right thing and rehabilitate and work with a local pigeon racing enthusiast to either get it back to the owner if they want it, or rehome it as a race bird, or just a pet if it can't heal enough.

The bird looked beautiful, overall strong, and I think it has a good chance at success. I did the best I could and passed it off to people who know more than I do and can help get that little guy on a better path.

Thanks again @cwebster for replying!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts