Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am out here in the Imperial Valley, El Centro CA, and this afternoon I found a racing Pigeon walking about our property (a twenty two acre ranch to be exact).This is very odd because there are no Pigeon racing clubs down here.....the tag on his/her leg however read Bakersfield, I believe that is about 6-8 hours away , though I'm not sure exactly.Needless to say it's a quite a long ways and I have no clue how it got into the boonies where I am.Pigeons are rare here, there being even a limited amount in town.
The poor little guy was very hungry, eating some sorghum seed I had (I have no bird seed at the moment).The little fellow is rather fluffed out and has very bright green watery poop.....it is rather cool outside but I don't think that is why.It carries it's head very well but often times is blinking and holding it's eyes closed, not so much in what would appear as a restful sleep but more like stress....or not feeling well??? I don't have a proper aviary and think I must bring the little chap inside....should I? I don't want to stress her/him.I know how fragile they are please help.I have very few options as far as taking it to the vet goes....there is but one avian vet and he is not a good one, I do not trust him, I do not want to take the little chap where he will just put the bird down.He has been known to be rather hard hearted.
Do not take me wrongly, if that is what's best for the little friend and he is in pain then I will do what it takes, but not without trying to help first.I do have four cats, a dog and a horse. On top of this I have a cleaning job and help out on the ranch.....so keeping the little fellow as much as I have always wanted to do Pigeon fostering is a little out of the question.....it would not be fair for him to be lonely. I simply want to make sure that he makes it for a day or so while I locate a place to take him/her.The closest is about two hours away and may be full....we shall see! Thanks so much for this awesome site, you guys are doing such a good thing helping these little guys by informing people.Will wait for your reply!

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Thank you for helping him! Does he have any numbers or letters on his band that might help identify his owner?
There is an excellent pigeon rescue in San Jose, Palomacy. If you are on Facebook pls post and see if they have someone near Bakersfield who might be able to help.
There are a few bird rescues on google but i dont see any really near you.
http://bird.rescueshelter.com/california
there us a humane society in El Centro but i know if they rescue birds.
https://www.facebook.com/humanesociety.imperialcounty/
Thank you for giving him a chance. He may just be lost and starving, hence the green poop.
We rescued our first pigeon because our local wildlife rescue vet merely euthanizes birds. Please dont give him to anyone unless tgey viw to rehabilitate him. If you take him to a vet say he is your pet so they will try very hard to save him.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Definitely take him inside. He can stay in a box or pet carrier until you find a place to take him. He may just be exhausted and starving, but check him over for any injuries. If he’s emancipated it can be dangerous for him to eat. Just check his crop a few hours after he eats, if here’s a hard ball of seed in it he will need help quickly. If his sternum doesn’t feel sharp that probably won’t be a problem.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The green droppings are probably starvation droppings, dark green. If he is blinking a lot he is probably dehydrated. He shouldn't really be fed until given water and gotten re-hydrated for a few hours first. Then he can eat. That may be all that is wrong with him, because if he is lost then he doesn't know where to find food or water. If after a couple of days he seems sick, then it may be more than simply needing food and water. Keep him inside in something like a cage or good sized box to keep him safe.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Terry Whatley who is a well known pigeon rescuer emailed me that she will take the bird if you can get him to her. She also asked if there is any other info on his bands. She is in Lake Forest. I will send you her email and ohone number.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much I just emailed her! The little guy is doing alright, he had a small breakfast of about half a tablespoon of seed and he has been drinking a lot of water.I thought I would give him some more feed a little past lunch just to be sure he handles it ok. Other than that he has just been sitting on my floor in my bed room next to a heating pad covered with a blanket as my house is rather chilly and he appeared rather fluffed up.He is in a very safe spot:).
He looks a little tired and fluffy but a lot more stable than yesterday :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you can put him in a cage or box with the heating pad on the bottom, set on LOW, and a layer of towel over it, than he would be on the heating pad, which may be better for him. But it must be kept on LOW, and a layer of towel or similar over it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.