Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever you buy an adult racing pigeons from other dealers, how long do you have to leave them inside the pigeon coop in order for them to realize that it's their home to live for now on... and are bird seed good food for the racing pigeon or other types of homing pigeon....?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The straight answer, if it is an adult bird, is forever. Adult birds are very difficult if not impossible to re-imprint their home location. Most people that buy adult birds keep them for stock and do not release them. If you do, you run a very high risk of loosing them.

Dan

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sorry, I forgot the birdseed question. Commercial birdseed for smaller species is usually lacking in the nutrients pigeons need and often are very high in fat. There are several producers of pigeon mixes that are good. Purina even makes "Pigeon chow"! Look for a protein content of 12-16% for starters.

Hope this helps,

Dan

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
whenever you buy an adult racing pigeons from other dealers, how long do you have to leave them inside the pigeon coop in order for them to realize that it's their home to live for now on... and are bird seed good food for the racing pigeon or other types of homing pigeon....?
There's a small percentage that you will able to settle old bird. But that percentage is less than 5%. You're better off never letting that adult bird outside. Just keep it inside and breed from it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I heard horst hackmer brought his whole ob team to u10 and settle them to fly there. I wouldn't do it if they were valuable to me but you never know I guess.
Horst flew in my club prior to moving and I know for a fact he didn't settle his OB's there. He is still in communication with our club and sends birds to our club race each year to help support our club. Most of the OB's were disposed of prior to moving and only a very few were taken with. A few of the local guys got his stock prior to moving. To settle an OB at a new loft can be done but there is a chance you will lose this bird. I have settled some of Warren Smith's birds he flew, and they route around our house but they are used as breeders.
Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.