Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:a jet airliner takes off,,a homing pigeon was released--a 600 mile trek,,i was told the pigeon landed 2 minutes after the airliner taxied to a stop.?? true or false--,i said false because the pigeon would have to travel at too fantastic of a speed,,,but i was assured it was true...i don,t believe it.//.what do you think.??.sincerely james waller

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The maximum flying speed of pigeon is said to be 90 - 110 kmph (56 - 68.4 mph), as per wikipedia citation - average flying speed over moderate distances is around 48 km/h (30 mph),but speeds of up to 95 km/h (59 mph) have been observed.

now I do not known what jet engine the airliner used ;)

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Ww 1

Hi JAMES, The story that I heard was in world war one a pigeon beat a plane by 2 minutes. The key here is World War One (WW1), Back in those days they were lucky if the plane could do 60 MPH. What you heard is just one of the old pigeon tales ( PUN INTENED) that pop up daily.GEORGE;)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Records of races show that over a hundred miles an hour, has been registered by racing pigeons. One would obviously assume a strong tail wind.

Or cheating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts