Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get oppinions on how people view small young birds as far as racing. What I am talking about is two young birds in the nest and one is noticably smaller, how do you see that in the way that bird will turn out as a racer? I know what I think at this time but it is only my point of view.Obviously if the bird is small and scrawy it is a direct reflection, but if it is fit and sound, just smaller how do you think of that bird?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I've kept track of a few that way and they don't seem to do as well. If you take the bigger one out at feeding time and let the little one feed first then put it back they seem to catch up some and do better.
Dave

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Physically, I wouldn't count them out if the come from a good bloodline and are in good health. In my opinion you can't really tell. Everyone has this idea of what physically looks good in their minds and what a champion bird should look like but I feel that in the end it's the intelligence and what's inside the bird that counts. The heart and the motivation to win the race!

Like my mentor tells me, only the "race" and "basket" will tell! So don't count the little ones out just yet I would try them out and see how the do.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pete I am not talking about one bird getting less feed, but that is good advice. What I am talking about is one bird just being smaller, usually that is a hen, so basically I am asking about peoples views on small hens. I know I have heard of small hens doing great things, maybe on Pigeon Radio a couple of years ago. I also know there are many flyers that won't bother with a bird like that. I can't remember the last time I had one but I have one now. Henry she is not just good bloodlines... I was debating to send her to a money race. Jim

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wish I knew where I heard some in depth conversation about racing small hens, maybe somewhere in the Pigeon Radio archives. She is filling out very well and I will probably send her off, but not sure yet. I send small numbers to money races so I like to feel good about the birds I send, she has two weeks yet to be sure. Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd like to get oppinions on how people view small young birds as far as racing. What I am talking about is two young birds in the nest and one is noticably smaller, how do you see that in the way that bird will turn out as a racer? I know what I think at this time but it is only my point of view.Obviously if the bird is small and scrawy it is a direct reflection, but if it is fit and sound, just smaller how do you think of that bird?
hi.this is a common occurence with most sets of youngsters.it is no way an indication of the performance of the bird.the smaller one could turn out to be the best of the two.in my experience the smaller one will usually "catch up"after a while and turn out to be a smart looking bird.i would,nt worry to much about this.hope this helps.paul

·
Registered
503 Posts
Big or small the basket will determine your best bird. As far as having two different size young bird, always remember that one egg will hatch a day after the second egg, so the first hatch will always get fed first and will be stronger than the first one until you do something to rectify the problem.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
It is quite normal at an early age for there to be a size difference. In time the size of the two will typically equal out. The smaller one can end up being larger then the other as they mature. I don't know of any correlation between size and preformance.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I feel like all my young birds deserve and equal chance to show their stuff. Just because one is smaller, I don't hold them back. You never know how they'll do until you try.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not talking about if I give her a chance to fly or not, what I am talking about is if I want to spend $1,000.00 entry fee on her. I do realize that because both eggs are not layed on the same day that young birds can grow at a different rate, 40+ years of breeding pigeons has taught me that much at least. ;) This little hen is a runt, that much I am sure, and even if I don't send her out she will get flown. I will definatly keep everyone posted on how she does, I was kind of hoping someone had some past experiences with runts. Jim

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am not talking about if I give her a chance to fly or not, what I am talking about is if I want to spend $1,000.00 entry fee on her. I do realize that because both eggs are not layed on the same day that young birds can grow at a different rate, 40+ years of breeding pigeons has taught me that much at least. ;) This little hen is a runt, that much I am sure, and even if I don't send her out she will get flown. I will definatly keep everyone posted on how she does, I was kind of hoping someone had some past experiences with runts. Jim
Since you have been raising birds for 40+ yrs have you heard of a way to prevent one egg from hatching first than the second egg? I only been raising pigeons for 30 yrs and into racing for about a year. I will share you how I keep the young birds from hatching the same day. What I do is as soon as the first egg is layed I removed and replace it with wooden egg and place it in a warm container with nesting material. I then wait for the second egg to be layed and then place the first egg back this way the eggs will hatch the same day or atleast couple of hours apart, I don't think there would have been a runt between 2 eggs. But to answer your questions about past experience with a small birds, if you go to Ganus website you will see different sizes bird and actually some of the winners really look small. Hope this help.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
$1K is huge chunk of change! I don't blame you for your hesitation. It's easy to say go for it!, if you're not the one spending the money! :D

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Sorry I misread the post. I dont think there is a problem with racing a small young bird, I have a hen that has always been small in her 3 rd year she won the 500 mi race 12 minutes ahead of the rest, and is still a great flyer.
Dave

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The nest mate to that little hen turned into a very nice cock, and exceptional breeder. I sent their full sister to the World Ace Challenge where she placed 1st on the drop @ 250, 1st average speed @ 300, and 2nd average speed @ 350. So I guess that answers the question about runts. Thanks everyone for them input.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
The nest mate to that little hen turned into a very nice cock, and exceptional breeder. I sent their full sister to the World Ace Challenge where she placed 1st on the drop @ 250, 1st average speed @ 300, and 2nd average speed @ 350. So I guess that answers the question about runts. Thanks everyone for them input.
Congratulations !!!!!!

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Since you have been raising birds for 40+ yrs have you heard of a way to prevent one egg from hatching first than the second egg? I only been raising pigeons for 30 yrs and into racing for about a year. I will share you how I keep the young birds from hatching the same day. What I do is as soon as the first egg is layed I removed and replace it with wooden egg and place it in a warm container with nesting material. I then wait for the second egg to be layed and then place the first egg back this way the eggs will hatch the same day or atleast couple of hours apart, I don't think there would have been a runt between 2 eggs. But to answer your questions about past experience with a small birds, if you go to Ganus website you will see different sizes bird and actually some of the winners really look small. Hope this help.

A little of subject sorry, I find good parents/feeders will not incubate the first egg until the second is laid meaning that they hatch usually within 2 - 5 hours of each other.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts