Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever play the radio in the loft? Just wondering what effect it has on the birds.
Thanks Jack

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
My birds have rocked out to some music with me while I was cleaning. But that's not a regular thing, haha :p They seemed to enjoy my old music :p

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Radio

I don't have the radio on much, But I had it on today and just thought the birds might like it during the day. Just a thought!
Jack

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Well, I have heard that dairy farms which have music played yields more milk :) Most of the dairy farms owners have FM radios in their cow sheds.

Animals and birds are all said to be keenly interested in music, one of the oldest references being Lord Krishna playing the flute while animals and birds gathered around Him to listen (as per the Hindu mythology) :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well just me talking, but I think Pigeons and Roosters would be the same. So with a Radio 24/7 it helps with stress. I think they don't stress out when you start taking them around noisy people and stuff.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I once used playing the radio the past few years and have stopped it about 3 weeks ago. It seems to me that my birds are not wild at all after stopping it. who knows.....

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Well as long as it isn't rock music, which most animals seem to not like :p (for example, the vibrations keeps moles out of your yard). Something pleasant. A lot of people leave the radio on for their parrot-like birds when they're gone so they don't get bored (and can pick up on some new words :p).
I would make sure to turn it off before it gets dark so they have some peace and quiet to rest. My friend leaves a radio on 24/7 for her pen-of-3 broilers, so they'll stay up and eating. Which is probably why hers get so humungous and beat mine every year. I don't have a way to keep them moving around, rather than sitting on their lazy butts.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Just imagine how you would like having to listen to heavy metal music all day, without the ability to turn it off.

I would think that pigeons are used to the noises and sounds of nature and not music. Therefore they would tolerate it but not groove on it.

They don't understand english, spanish or any other human language, other than maybe a sound they associate with feeding time. There is no music other than the wind and song birds in the wild. So why would they like music or song by humans?

I don't think it can hurt them, other than maybe they would rather it just go away. Just like my dogs. I have the news on TV all day long and they ignore it. But they don't watch it or understand it. I actually turn it off now when I leave the house. Just to give the dogs a rest from the constant noise.

·
Registered
508 Posts
sounds interesting i may give it a shot, my birds need some enrichment!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I keep my kitchen radio (larger one) low and the birds in the house seem to really like it but if you really want to see a change in your birds noises--stand there and sing for a moment everything gets really silent especially at christmas time when I sing silent night to my birds...They get the strangest look and they like it until they find out that I just can't sing lol...Stand there and sing in your loft thats what I mean and see their expressions and silence its fun to see when you do it the first time...I enjoyed---when I have them in my house one or two of them they seem really to enjoy it if its on low and they really like Hispanic music..

·
Registered
42 Posts
I own Windmill Ranch. Radio makes a huge difference in our horses (we have up to 35 head) The dairy by us use a raido also. And I feel it does keep the birds calm. They even say house plants respond to it. Jim

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Just imagine how you would like having to listen to heavy metal music all day, without the ability to turn it off.

I would think that pigeons are used to the noises and sounds of nature and not music. Therefore they would tolerate it but not groove on it.

They don't understand english, spanish or any other human language, other than maybe a sound they associate with feeding time. There is no music other than the wind and song birds in the wild. So why would they like music or song by humans?

I don't think it can hurt them, other than maybe they would rather it just go away. Just like my dogs. I have the news on TV all day long and they ignore it. But they don't watch it or understand it. I actually turn it off now when I leave the house. Just to give the dogs a rest from the constant noise.
Mine get "soft rock"! LOL (I shut it off at night.)
I had a dog that I swear loved classical music. Whenever I would play classical, she would jump up on the couch between the speakers and just sit there with her eyes closed - as if she was taking it all in :cool:
It has been researched and documented that playing classical music in boarding kennels has a calming effect on the dogs. One of the responses was - less barking!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts