Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several people in different places speak about feeding their birds fresh raw vegetables and I was wondering if people do this in racing pigeons or it is more of just a treat for the birds. Also has anyone heard of feeding bananas to a pigeon, nutrition values of a banana makes it one of the most perfect foods in the world? Thanks for input guys

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Pigeons are grain eaters but do eat lettuce and apples somewhat as a treat. In the wild I am sure they have array of foods --small seed--bread---and other things they eat for their survival. I would not feed them bananas or raw foods because it could be upsetting for their systems and somethings would kill them-plus the foods left over gets decayed and some of it is moist and this is bad plus a lot of sugar in items and too much salt is a killer of pigeons but I am sure as people chime in there are foods that are safe and could be tried. I know people like to put vinegar in a non-metalic container and other food feed their pigeons a mixture of pellet and grain and I am curious on your responses that you get as well as you I am sure....c.hert---I would not give them bananas..c.hert

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
We provide lettuce for our rescue aviary pigeons, and they really go for it. We started giving leaves of watercress, rocket, spinach, chard and one or two others (washed) to our European Wood Pigeons (green leaf is part of their natural diet), and have found that our other pigeons also seem to enjoy chopped up greens. Wild Rock Pigeons do, anyway, eat some leaf. I'd not provide banana, either, just because I'm not a fan of giving pigeons anything too 'exotic'.

John

·
Registered
163 Posts
I give mine fresh, organic red chard once or twice a week. I dice it up, stalks and all and just drop a plate full in each section. The birds go nuts for it, even seems to top the peanuts. If I'm feeling lazy I just poke the stalks through with a twistie tie and hang it in the aviary. It keeps the birds busy for hours that way.
I give them sprouts here and there as well. I've been buying those, but I'm going to start growing my own for them this summer.
I tried diced baby spinach, but it really made a mess of their droppings. I gave carrots a try too...but they were not interested.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I have seen several people in different places speak about feeding their birds fresh raw vegetables and I was wondering if people do this in racing pigeons or it is more of just a treat for the birds. Also has anyone heard of feeding bananas to a pigeon, nutrition values of a banana makes it one of the most perfect foods in the world? Thanks for input guys
My two cents is that they are pigeons and not parrots. I feed a well balanced pellet diet, so there is no need for supplementation. I do give them some Kale once in awhile, just to make me feel good. You will read and hear of people doing all kinds of crazy things. But, just as my mother would say, if so and so jumps off a bridge are you going to go do it also ?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Yeah...broccoli also....but when I wrote that post, I could not spell broccoli and didn't think anyone would notice....but Kale they like also, but around breeding season this time of year, they have a tendency to pull it into their nest and use it as nesting material ! :p Once in a great while some broccoli ends up there also, but not nearly as often. I do both a lot less often since I went to the pellets.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Mine love chopped kale, finely chopped carrots, sprouts, defrosted frozen peas and corn. Some like one better, and some the other. They're great for them. Lots of vitamins and minerals. Mine prefer the kale copped, rather than whole leaves. I guess they're spoiled and don't want to have to work at it.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hey Jay3, where's my plate.:D LoL

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Mine love chopped kale, finely chopped carrots, sprouts, defrosted frozen peas and corn. Some like one better, and some the other. They're great for them. Lots of vitamins and minerals. Mine prefer the kale copped, rather than whole leaves. I guess they're spoiled and don't want to have to work at it.

Wow Jay, That looks like my plate..........lol

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They love them, and usually don't leave much.:D

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think it's great, I just do not do as often as I should... when I die i want to be a pigeon at Jay3 's loft.:)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think it's great, I just do not do as often as I should... when I die i want to be a pigeon at Jay3 's loft.:)
I'll save a good nest box for you. I know you like one with a front. And as for the perch..............do you prefer just outside the box, or across the room?:p

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I'll save a good nest box for you. I know you like one with a front. And as for the perch..............do you prefer just outside the box, or across the room?:p
anything will do...lol..:) as far as the front goes, thats ok if there is not one, I would like to cause a bit of trouble nest box hopping every now and again...keeps them on their toes..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts