1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: How do I 'ring' my birds?

Hi,

I would like to 'ring' my pigeons.

I have 5 rescued pigeons that I have raised since they were squabs and I would like to 'ring' before they are released from the aviary.

Is there an easy way to do this?

X
Donna

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi there, of they are adults you would have to either get the open ring bands or the clip on bands. Are your pigeons suitable for release, if they don't know how to find their own food and aren't scared of people they won't know what to do, they will most Lilly find a tree or bush and wait for you to feed them all the time or if you take them far and release them then they are Lilly to just stay there until they are rescued or fall victim to prey...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Do you mean release to fly and come back in, or to release, like let them go free?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Sorry for the very long wait for a response! In the end I managed to set my, hand raised from squabs, 5 pigeons up with their own open section in my chicken aviary and shed for a few weeks and then I released them. Now they are able to fly free all day when the chickens are out roaming in the garden and they seem to home back to the shed as they wish for their food during the day and at night. All seems to have worked out well for all concerned and no need for rings. Thanks for the response! XX

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Heya
I just wanted to say that it wasn't such a bad idea to want to band your birds ......there are a variety of bands available in many sizes and you can even add your ph # on them . In your case a few " snap on bands " would be a great choice , just incase they got lost or in trouble ........if they were to end up at someone else's loft , theres a good chance they'd make it back home . My experience is unbanded birds are treated as ferals and don't always get the respect they deserve .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts