Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Medications

I am confused by all the medications listed in the pigeon supply catalogs. Is there a wide spectrum, general use, medication that would cover most of the illness threats to pigeons? How are they generally given, in water or feed or in pill form? I wouldn't mind giving a couple different meds but can't see maintaining a pigeon pharmacy. I want to keep them healthy but also want to keep it within reason.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I am confused by all the medications listed in the pigeon supply catalogs. Is there a wide spectrum, general use, medication that would cover most of the illness threats to pigeons? How are they generally given, in water or feed or in pill form? I wouldn't mind giving a couple different meds but can't see maintaining a pigeon pharmacy. I want to keep them healthy but also want to keep it within reason.

Thanks,
Mike
You can medicate or not medicate as much as you want. You will find that there is very little help from the veterinary world for pigeons. At least in my neck of the woods it is almost impossible to find a vet that will deal with pigeons. Because of that, we have become our own source of medical care for our birds. What you are seeing is all the products that are available for all the different problems that could occur.

A lot of this will depend on what you are planning to use your birds for. If you are planning to race you will probably use more medication and supplements then birds that are just kept around the house as pets. This is because race birds are exposed to so much more potential problems then pets as they are in shipping baskets with hundreds of birds from other lofts.

Hope this gives you some perspective.

Dan

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Mike,
By risk of repeating so many others before me here are some suggestions that I value:
1 Wide spectrum – general use approach is called nutrition.
2 Main supplement – hygiene. Healthy birds do not need medicines.

To be on the safe side, I would recommend you to keep following medicines:
Two different type anti-canker drugs.
Broad spectrum general antibiotic (Baytril, Amoxicilin)
Broad spectrum antibiotic for respiratory infections (Doxycycline or Tetracycline)
These three types of drugs are the must have as you usually don’t have time to search and order in emergencies.
Antibiotics are not for preventive or routine treatment and should be not given to birds without serious reason. They destroy gut bacteria and immune system. If given routinely you get resistant strains and no tool to fight them.
Herbal and holistic remedies are much better for immune system stimulation and treatment. They are inexpensive and you have them in most households. :)

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi Mike,
By risk of repeating so many others before me here are some suggestions that I value:
1 Wide spectrum – general use approach is called nutrition.
2 Main supplement – hygiene. Healthy birds do not need medicines.

To be on the safe side, I would recommend you to keep following medicines:
Two different type anti-canker drugs.
Broad spectrum general antibiotic (Baytril, Amoxicilin)
Broad spectrum antibiotic for respiratory infections (Doxycycline or Tetracycline)
These three types of drugs are the must have as you usually don’t have time to search and order in emergencies.
Antibiotics are not for preventive or routine treatment and should be not given to birds without serious reason. They destroy gut bacteria and immune system. If given routinely you get resistant strains and no tool to fight them.
Herbal and holistic remedies are much better for immune system stimulation and treatment. They are inexpensive and you have them in most households. :)
I totally agree with all of the above, but I would add to you "medicine cabinet" something for coccidiosis and worms.
Like Learning said, it really depends on WHAT you are doing with your birds. Those that keep a flock in the back yard for pure entertainment don't or shouldn't have to do what someone who races their birds does. Those of us that race are constantly mixing with other fanciers birds, drinking after them, eating after them, even on occasion having one of our birds go into someone elses loft. Therefore, we have to take a different approach. Not to mention the training that we do adds stress to our birds lives that a back yard flock doesn't face. If you race your birds, take a look at some of the lofts of birds that your birds have to be in close contact with. It CAN be scary to say the least. I know fanciers that couldn't give me a bird for love nor money. I'd be scared to death to bring it into my loft. That's a shame, but it's the truth. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts