Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Re-Peeper, orphaned as a fledgling, is not doing so well.

After a course of Spartrix last week and a dose of Moxydectin Plus on Monday (thanks Feefo!) she seemed to be coming along quite well.

Not so today. She's not eating on her own, but pecking at seeds then dropping them. She seems hungry, as she starts peeping if I approach her with seeds in my hand, but doesn't eat them.

I tried hand feeding her corn and peas as well. She resisted to the point that I thought I might be upsetting her so I stopped; well before a full meal for her.

She's also drinking *lots* of water and sleeping an awful lot.

Her droppings, naturally, have very little solid matter left but are quite mucous-like and slightly yellow with an unusually foul smell.

Also, she's still bald behind her cere and under her mandible. I would have expected to see feathers starting to grow in by now. She does scratch her face on occasion - which I took to mean it was itchy from new feather growth.

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, I gave her one dose of Spartrix (carnidazole 10mg) for 5 days (last Tue through Sat), and the Moxy Plus on Mon. (about .17ml for her ~275g wt).

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
How's the color of her mouth....?

It's good that you got some food into her...if you cannot get a "full meal" in one sitting, break it up into 2 or 3 feedings (making sure her crop is emptying in between).

How's her weight ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. It's tough love from here on out.

I just fed her a proper full meal (~50 pieces corn/peas), her crop is nice and puffy like a pillow. Sleepytime now.

@jaye: Her mouth is a light pink colour and (visibly) clear of any lesions or discolouration. I don't have a scale but I can reasonably estimate her weight at a bit less than 300g. When we found her on 8 July, she was (probably) a bit more than 200g.

She's probably ~6 weeks old now...

Here's a picture of her taken on the 8th:

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
300 gms is a respectable weight. John and I always wait until a pigeon reaches the 300 mark before we can relax.

What "seed diet" are you offering her at the moment?

Cynhia

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Feefo,

She's got budgie seed mix, crushed peanuts, some eirPet "Wild Bird Food" (from Tesco), and grits.

She only seems to actually eat the groats (from the budgie mix).

I hand feed her a pinch of grit daily. She won't swallow them on her own. In fact, she doesn't really eat much on her own at all. She pecks about a lot but doesn't actually swallow. "Playing with the food" comes to mind. She does seem hungry, though, about 3 hours after I hand feed her.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She's doing better, despite being petulant (yet simultaneously sweet and adorable - how do pigeons do that?).

She's still not really doing any significant eating on her own, though.

@JGregg: I gave her one Spartrix (carnidazole 10mg) for 5 days (last Tue through Sat). I was reluctant to continue it past that - especially since the only evidence of canker is the lack of feathers on her mandible. Her mouth and throat remain clear, but her bald mandible remains bald.

I'll sort out another picture in the morning, so you all can see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts